How would you answer this question

Job type: Temporary

Location of job: sheffield

Further details

Not a job just a quick question. If going for an interview for a School Caretaker how would you answer the question: "What would you do if you heard children being rowdy in a room, and all teachers were in class and busy"

I would say, do nothing, the job is for caretaker, not a teacher.

Correct. Its a trick question, as a caretaker you have no authorisation to chastise the kids.

Bring it to the attention of a teacher would be the correct course of action.

:roll: I have just guessed all of the above, let us know what was the right answer or not :hihi:

Presuming you are CRB checked, and presuming the school expect all staff to have an interest in the welfare of pupils: enter the room, if there is no member of staff there, find out if they should be in the room (and the answer is no, if there's not an adult there), wait until other adult returns, asking pupils to wait quietly, or, if they're not waiting for an adult, ask them to go to where they should be, making a mental note of who the kids are, (in case something develops later, like something is missing, for instance) if I was a caretaker, alone, and kids were in the room, I'd probably stand wedging the door open, so I was not putting myself in a potentially vulnerable position, if the kids are with a teacher, just bow out gently, not your job to inferfere, unless teacher asks for assistance, or kids are in danger.

I would probably also add, actually, after giving the interviewers my answer, that I had a similar question to this, I wanted to ask at the end of the interview, on what the school would expect me to do, as I am aware that different schools have different policies and expectations of staff, and I would like to inform myself of your position, in order to be sufficiently prepared.

I'm with Darth!

I'm pretty sure that saying you'd do nothing is a VERY wrong answer. I suspect the aim of the question is really just to see if you would play an active role in school life, rather than just quietly going about your business with your head down.

Could be wrong though.....:)

Archived