How would you answer this question

Job type: Temporary

Location of job: sheffield

Further details

Not a job just a quick question. If going for an interview for a School Caretaker how would you answer the question: "What would you do if you heard children being rowdy in a room, and all teachers were in class and busy"

Well thanks for all your replies some very funny, but going to be a little serious now. I have been out of work for six months, and I had this question in my last interview. I have another interview next week for the same council for the same job, and I expect this question my arise. These were my possible replies:

1. I would just pop my head around the corner see what the kids were up to and ask them to keep the noise down. (problem with that answer: Parents don’t send their kids to school, to be disciplined by an untrained Caretaker)

2. Even though the teachers were busy I would knock on the door of the class, and report the problem. (Problem with answer: Teacher would have to leave a class to deal with problem, and may just be causing another)

Thanks

Had this interview and said " i would report to head if all teachers busy", i was them prompted but if knowone was available what would you do.

" i had to say something, so said i would just pop in and ask them to keep the noise down, or ask them to stop what they were doing"

I didnt get the job:(

Common sense should dictate you go in shout and bellow, 'nar then BE QUIET', order one of the children to teach the class or have them read and find the teacher.

I agree. Shrugging your shoulders and saying "not my department love" is a relic of behaviour from 'On the Buses' or similar. Inefficient and shows zero initiative. Last time I looked kids were supposed to listen to adults.

Sorry you didn't get the job. First of all a teacher should not leave children unattended. Secondly I do think it is the responsibility of all staff, dinner ladies etc to be aware of health and safety. Thirdly if you saw a child doing something dangerous or for example climbing over the school wall and there was no one else (why not?) then I feel you would have to intervene in the interest of child safety. There is also an issue with touching a child, very difficult. If no one else was available I would try to find the head, learning mentor, a teaching assistant who may not be in charge of a class, or perhaps my first port of call would be the staff room where someone might be preparing a lesson, marking, or on free time.

Anyway, that is what I would do, it may be wrong but I hope it gives food for thought.

I work in a school as a Curriculum Support Assistant (mixture of Cover Supervisor, Teaching Assistant and Technician) in the area of science and if the question is asked in that particular way it looks like they're trying to get you to volunteer what you would do in different situations.

So obviously you'd start off by mentioning what you would do if the class is rowdy and there are teachers/assistants in class but then widen your answer, without any prompting from the interviewers, as to what you would do if there were no staff present and try and widen your answer even further imagining yourself in different situations, maybe students had started to come out onto the corridor and mess around etc.

Basically they're wanting to see that;

1/You have the well being of the children as the top priority

2/They want to see that you're proactive rather than reactive and it's likely that if you give more of the correct info during interview than was necessary and answered questions that the interviewers may not even have thought of themselves then that gives an impression that you're going to be proactive in the job as well.

Hope this helps and if you want any more info please feel free to PM me.

Archived