Debt passed to debt collection agency can bank take money out of my account

A few years ago i had a nat west credit card and since i lost my job this debt was passed to debt collection agancies. westcot then regal and now somebody called scotcall so have been dealing with these companies. had to get a bank account to get wages paid in as i got a job so went to nat west for a basic account no problem and worked well.. letter today was from nat west saying that they had taken two thirds of my money in my account to offset the credit card debt even though this has been passed on any they themselves have told me to contact regal even though its been passed onto scotcall so i am really confused if they can do this so any advice anyone tried to phone nat west credit cards and they are closed until 9.am on monday morning

If they have sold the debt then it sounds very dodgy. Not an expert though so i'd recomend making the same post of the consumer action forums board - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php under either the banks or debt collection forum. That lot are brilliant, know the law inside out so should be able to help you and all for free which is good :)

Good luck.

If they have sold the debt then it sounds very dodgy. Not an expert though so i'd recomend making the same post of the consumer action forums board - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php under either the banks or debt collection forum. That lot are brilliant, know the law inside out so should be able to help you and all for free which is good :)

Good luck.

thanks for that will try a post on their now

I don't know the legal in's and out's but I have seen money taken from bank accounts to pay off another debt (e.g overdraft or credit card arrears) with that bank.

I have never seen it happen if the money was owed to someone else (unless supported by a court order or a bankrupt notice).

A few years ago i had a nat west credit card and since i lost my job this debt was passed to debt collection agancies. westcot then regal and now somebody called scotcall so have been dealing with these companies. had to get a bank account to get wages paid in as i got a job so went to nat west for a basic account no problem and worked well.. letter today was from nat west saying that they had taken two thirds of my money in my account to offset the credit card debt even though this has been passed on any they themselves have told me to contact regal even though its been passed onto scotcall so i am really confused if they can do this so any advice anyone tried to phone nat west credit cards and they are closed until 9.am on monday morning

I'm surprised they let you open a bank account if you had debts owing to a debt collector as it would come up when they did a credit check at the bank.

I'm surprised they let you open a bank account if you had debts owing to a debt collector as it would come up when they did a credit check at the bank.

But as the OP only opened a basic bank account , surely there would be no need to credit check him ,as he wasnt wanting to borrow money ,or apply for credit cards.

But as the OP only opened a basic bank account , surely there would be no need to credit check him ,as he wasnt wanting to borrow money ,or apply for credit cards.

They would still do a credit check and wouldn't take anyone with bad credit history :)

They would still do a credit check and wouldn't take anyone with bad credit history :)

Some banks will do this even if outstanding debts show on a credit report. They will usually not offer anything like an overdraft or credit card, but will let you have a current account with a debit card and cheque book.

Some banks will do this even if outstanding debts show on a credit report. They will usually not offer anything like an overdraft or credit card, but will let you have a current account with a debit card and cheque book.

I work in the financial industry and its not something we are aware of :)

Archived