Has Phil Woolas caused double trouble for the Lib Dems?

Guest sibon

and unfair that those people of Walkley who voted for a liberal democrat councillor have now got a labour one.I cant see how they can be happy with that.

They have the councillor that they elected. They didn't vote for a party. If they thought they were voting for a party, they need to learn how our electoral system works.

They have the councillor that they elected. They didn't vote for a party. If they thought they were voting for a party, they need to learn how our electoral system works.
They voted for him based on his electoral manifesto, campaigning and newsletters and stuff full of Liberal Democrat policy and ideals, didn't they?

When he turned out to be sailing under false colours and was actually a Labour sympathiser, surely they have the right to vote again? They didn't get what or who they thought they were voting for. They got a turncoat with no principles.

If he'd any ethics, he'd have resigned and forced a bye election. If I was a Walkley voter I'd be pretty mad about what happened.

The 2 go hand in hand. You vote for the councillor who stands for what the party line is and of course you hope that councillor will work hard for the community all year round, but that involves following the principals of the party that the electorate voted for.

They voted for him based on his electoral manifesto, campaigning and newsletters and stuff full of Liberal Democrat policy and ideals, didn't they?

When he turned out to be sailing under false colours and was actually a Labour sympathiser, surely they have the right to vote again? They didn't get what or who they thought they were voting for. They got a turncoat with no principles.

If he'd any ethics, he'd have resigned and forced a bye election. If I was a Walkley voter I'd be pretty mad about what happened.

On the basis of your logic wouldn't you agree with me that there should be a by-election in the Hallam constituency as Clegg is guilty of all the points you raise above?

On the basis of your logic wouldn't you agree with me that there should be a by-election in the Hallam constituency as Clegg is guilty of all the points you raise above?
How do you make that out? I haven't heard that Mr Clegg has resigned as leader of the LibDems and joined the labour party and deserted all his Liberal ethics. He's done what he said his party would do, form a coalition with the party with the most seats. Which is what he did, and everyone but labour is pretty happy with that.

You only have to look at the op on this thread to see what unprincipled deceivers liebour people are. The OP sibon tried to make out that he was a disillusioned LibDem voter until I challenged him. Typical labour tactics imo. Anyway, he's been sussed out by pretty much everyone on the thread, so sibon = epic fail!

You only have to look at the op on this thread to see what unprincipled deceivers liebour people are. The OP sibon tried to make out that he was a disillusioned LibDem voter until I challenged him. Typical labour tactics imo. Anyway, he's been sussed out by pretty much everyone on the thread, so sibon = epic fail!

No I didn't.

Try sticking to the facts.

The 2 go hand in hand. You vote for the councillor who stands for what the party line is and of course you hope that councillor will work hard for the community all year round, but that involves following the principals of the party that the electorate voted for.

In that case, as I said, they need to learn how our electoral system works. You do not vote for a party line; you vote for a person. That person remains in office, no matter which party he ends up being a member of.

In that case, as I said, they need to learn how our electoral system works. You do not vote for a party line; you vote for a person. That person remains in office, no matter which party he ends up being a member of.
That may be the fact, but do you think it's right that the majority vote for the candidate of a party that they've happily been re-electing to represent them for many years and then get someone who switches sides, not become an Independent where he could still have his ethics but not toe the party line, but joins a totally different party which obviously people didn't want and haven't wanted for a number of years?

Most people think it stinks and wouldn't want a turncoat representing them, would you? He was obviously not showing his true colours to the voters, if he had, they would probably not have voted for him. My opinion.

That may be the fact, but do you think it's right that the majority vote for the candidate of a party that they've happily been re-electing to represent them for many years and then get someone who switches sides, not become an Independent where he could still have his ethics but not toe the party line, but joins a totally different party which obviously people didn't want and haven't wanted for a number of years?

Most people think it stinks and wouldn't want a turncoat representing them, would you? He was obviously not showing his true colours to the voters, if he had, they would probably not have voted for him. My opinion.

You seem prone to overstatement and generalisation.

When did you carry out these investigations and what was the final result.

Ho Tony. It has been a rather beautiful weekend don't you think? I've spent mine with friends. I hope yours was just as pleasant.

As to your enquiry, I thought that I'd explained myself here.

If I wasn't clear enough, the two blows that I've alluded to were:

1. Woolas wins the seat, stealing it from the Lib Dems using rather unpleasant tactics.

2. The by-election will occur after the Lib Dems poll rating has collapsed.

But you already knew that, so why ask the question?

Incidentally, nobody has yet picked up on this part of my OP

Do you have a view?

1. How is Wollas losing his 4000 majority and scraping by with 109 votes a first blow to the Lib Dems?

2. How is Woolas being thrown out of the Labour Party and being stripped of his seat by a court a second blow to the Lib-Dems?

Archived