Tassimo or Dolce Gusto?

DeLonghi bean-to-cup.

We have one very similar to this one (very slightly different fascia and slightly larger/wider).

As a 'press the button' solution (rather than more involved 'dose the ground coffee into the cup/handle' solutions), nothing comes close.

Other than extraordinarily-expensive and obscure Italian-made bean-to-cup machines, that is (my parents have had one, in daily use for the last 10 to 12 years, only needed minor repairs twice in that time - you get what you pay for).

Can't beat value-for-money per cup either, compared to the 'capsule' ones.

This from a 35+ years coffee (black, no sugar) drinker who loves nothing more than a good espresso.

There's me thinking most people just put a spoon of coffee in a cup & added water milk & sugar if needed, these machines do sound a bit pretentious.
Depends if one truly appreciates (nay, values!) a good coffee...or just wants one of these for the sake of having one, or to show off, or <whatever>. Your comment reminds me of people who don't really appreciate a good wine and see those who do as similarly 'pretentious'.

There's me thinking most people just put a spoon of coffee in a cup & added water milk & sugar if needed, these machines do sound a bit pretentious.

You may want to try one then? There is a world of difference between a cup of instant and a decent proper coffee from fresh roasted green beans. Yes it takes time and effort, but you wouldn't expect a microwave prepacked curry to taste the same as one that you prepared yourself from freshly coriander, fenugreek, slow braised lamb etc etc...

You are paying for the name though - pull a gaggia and a delonghi apart and they are the same thing really - you'll get just as good coffee out of that delonghi as you will out of a £200 Gaggia.

Now if you up the anti and get a "proper" gaggia I'll agree, but you'll be stiffing out nearly a grand for a coffee machine which not everyone wants to do...

Exactly in an ideal world Id have a £1,000+ Gaggia but have that home.

Although I am just wanting something for quick Lattes at work and I think Dolce Gusto seems the one for us to run with.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:12 ----------

You may want to try one then? There is a world of difference between a cup of instant and a decent proper coffee from fresh roasted green beans. Yes it takes time and effort, but you wouldn't expect a microwave prepacked curry to taste the same as one that you prepared yourself from freshly coriander, fenugreek, slow braised lamb etc etc...

Exactly plus it depends how much you like coffee as well. I mean if Bypass aint that bothered and just wants a simple coffee then instant coffee is probably spot on.

If you are someone who really likes there coffee's then you end up going down the costly route. :)

Exactly in an ideal world Id have a £1,000+ Gaggia but have that home.

Although I am just wanting something for quick Lattes at work and I think Dolce Gusto seems the one for us to run with.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 11:12 ----------

Exactly plus it depends how much you like coffee as well. I mean if Bypass aint that bothered and just wants a simple coffee then instant coffee is probably spot on.

If you are someone who really likes there coffee's then you end up going down the costly route. :)

If you wnat something consistent and quick then the capsule things do do a good job. Certainly way better than an instant, and if you can buy them in bulk (Costco and Makro do them in big bulk packs) then the costs are not too much.

I don;t think that coffee is that expensive in machine terms - those £100 odd delonghi (and the £200 Gaggia) do an excellent job that will knock the socks off anything that Starbucks/Costco can do. The expense is time in making your coffee in the morning and learning to drive it and as you say some people just are not that interested, which is fine. What really bugs me is people who get fooled into believing that you need a really expensive machine to make good coffee when nothing is further from the truth.

What really bugs me is people who get fooled into believing that you need a really expensive machine to make good coffee when nothing is further from the truth.
That's a misconception, though.

There comes a point at which the price differential ceases to be relevant to how good the coffee is (and your point is quite right in that sense), but remains entirely relevant to how well the machine is engineered/built/etc.

That's always been true of white/silver goods (not really sure which I'd classify these machines in, tbh). And it's as valid as ever, since productionof many of these (and comparable kitchen devices) has been shifted to China, which these days designs/creates its own and peddles them to European 'brands' for badging and selling.

DeLonghi bean-to-cup.

We have one very similar to this one (very slightly different fascia and slightly larger/wider).

As a 'press the button' solution (rather than more involved 'dose the ground coffee into the cup/handle' solutions), nothing comes close.

Other than extraordinarily-expensive and obscure Italian-made bean-to-cup machines, that is (my parents have had one, in daily use for the last 10 to 12 years, only needed minor repairs twice in that time - you get what you pay for).

Can't beat value-for-money per cup either, compared to the 'capsule' ones.

This from a 35+ years coffee (black, no sugar) drinker who loves nothing more than a good espresso.

Depends if one truly appreciates (nay, values!) a good coffee...or just wants one of these for the sake of having one, or to show off, or <whatever>. Your comment reminds me of people who don't really appreciate a good wine and see those who do as similarly 'pretentious'.

You could not be further from the truth old bean, I love a nice wine & used to love coffee but sadly due to illness lost the taste for it, I don't even like the smell now.

I used to have a coffee machine and would only use grounds to make it :)

You could not be further from the truth old bean, I love a nice wine & used to love coffee but sadly due to illness lost the taste for it, I don't even like the smell now.

Ah, I see.

So now that you're disgusted by it, you're assuming everybody else should be, or not bother with good coffee? Riiight.

Ah, I see.

So now that you're disgusted by it, you're assuming everybody else should be, or not bother with good coffee? Riiight.

Far from it old bean, just don't see point in paying the money out these particular machines cost, isn't one endorsed by George Clooney? even when I drank it I wouldn't have bought one.

Far from it old bean, just don't see point in paying the money out these particular machines cost, isn't one endorsed by George Clooney? even when I drank it I wouldn't have bought one.
Whatever, older bean.

No further point needed.

Archived