Any old regulars of The Whetstone

Johnh

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Johnh

I worked behind the bar in the Whestone for Tom and Eileen Walsh from the opening of the pub around 1971. Does anybody remember any of the regulars ... Turkey, Alan the doorman, Nutter, Gary, Paul Clayton, John Hallam, Paul Rudd etc

:thumbsup:

I practically lived in the Whetstone from 1972 until about 1977 and I remember Nutter. Some of those other names do seem vaguely familiar. I used to drink with among others, whose names I can't remember, Chris Royles and his sister Sue, big Pete Greaves (about 6 feet 9 inches tall) and big Colin Taylor (about 6 feet 2 inches & 25 stone). Was there barstaff by the name of Alan Clayton and also a woman called Beryl Hawley (she was a middle aged lady).

I have fond memories of Tom Walsh, he was a top geezer. Chris Royles and I organised a petition to the brewery to try to stop them from moving him to another boozer and believe me there was a huge number of people who signed it, but all to no avail.

I came across Tom again in 1989, he had been working in the tarmacing trade over the years and although he had retired he was helping out a mate of mine who had a tarmacing firm and who knew Tom from way back. They were working at my house and Tom couldn't get any work done for talking about the Whetstone days. They should have been there for 2 days and ended up with the job taking twice as long.

Happy days!

• 2 years later...

I went in there from about the end of 1973 onward until about 1980, Tom was still there when I started going in, some of the other regulars were Tommo, Black Bob, Big Bob.

My sister Pauline and her husband Steve and several young ladies who's names I can't remember including one who worked at Lewis Leathers round the corner.

And I remember Chris Royles.

• 2 years later...

i remember these lads as well i used to go to pub with dave galley from dronfield who played for the pub at table football in the early seventies,we were in the pub every night and before and after the football at the lane, also used to frequent nelson and wap for the heavy rock music,anyone remember the great murals in the whetstone and nelson,does anyone know the artist or have any photos of them wish i had took some!!!

Archived