Car headlight bulbs

Headlights in general seem to be getting a lot brighter. Or I'm getting older. Or the MOT tester aren't checking alignment anymore. Whatever the cause, I seem to find a lot of oncoming cars quite dazzling this winter.

Not seen *too* many people doing the old 'one light is broken so I'll use main beam on the other' routine, but it's only November ...

• 1 year later...

I have HID bulbs in my golf at the moment. The golf has separate high and low beams which are best for retro fitting. Some of the cars fitted with the HID's are single bulbs high and low and they blinking blind you !!!!!!

I went for the 8000k bulbs which have the blue tint and look good and better for other road users. The 10000k & 12000k bulbs you see boy racers with are unreal bright ice white and just far too much for UK road use.

I fitted HID out of use where I drive which is through Sherwood Forrest daily , the golfs OEM bulbs fitted were pathetic for this use.

Right prices and best to buy.

Don't buy slim fit as they not worth it, I've replaced 2 out of my 4 bulbs as the ballasts failed within days of fitting. Buy the bulb and a separate high quality heavy duty heatsinked ballast.

The units as a whole bulb and ballast should set you back no more than £60 from eBay per pair.

Fitting is a a little tricky depending on your car. For VAG systems it's also recommended you wire them directly to you car battery and bypass your cars computer power system as they can blow things, this also helps with flickering when powering up.

Archived