Netherlands lifts smoking ban!

The smoking ban isn't about choice of smokers or non smokers. it's about employers and them providing a safe environment for their staff to work in.

That maybe what it started out to be, but it has gone well over the top and in some cases, where for example, a building site in the open air, you have to go and stand in a particular fenced off area to have a smoke.

This is nothing to do with health grounds, this is just some jumped up little Hitler using the smoking ban for his/her own personal agenda.

do the workers in the smoking establishments get a choice whether they work there?

Unless they are slaves, everyone has a choice.

I know many many pubs, as I suppose you do also, that have managers/owners and staff that all smoke and are unable to do so as the law stands.

That maybe what it started out to be, but it has gone well over the top and in some cases, where for example, a building site in the open air, you have to go and stand in a particular fenced off area to have a smoke.

This is nothing to do with health grounds, this is just some jumped up little Hitler using the smoking ban for his/her own personal agenda.

Your example either shows an employer not understanding the legislation or them deciding that they don't want their employees smoking on the job.

I'd guess a bit of both...

The smoking ban isn't about choice of smokers or non smokers. it's about employers and them providing a safe environment for their staff to work in.

Pubs haven't just closed because of the ban, greedy pub companies, pubs tied in to buy beer at inflated prices from 1 supplier, and old dingy places that haven't had a lick of paint in years are other reasons (probably bigger reasons too)

All the reasons you point out may well have had some bearing on why pubs have closed, but also the smoke ban will have had something to do with some of them closing.

Did you not read the article? the ban is only lifted in certain establishments not everywhere

When a group of smokers and non smokers go out together the smokers (usually the minority) always insist the whole group cater to them. To be flexible and friendly they usually agree. This will probably be repeated nationally pulling the centre of gravity towards the smokers. I'm speaking from experience there before anyone moans that I'm some killjoy.

It's a seedy habit decades out of date and no one should be allowed to do it anywhere except in their own homes. Standing at bus stops or in lifts with them or walking behind them is a foul experience too.

When a group of smokers and non smokers go out together the smokers (usually the minority) always insist the whole group cater to them. To be flexible and friendly they usually agree. This will probably be repeated nationally pulling the centre of gravity towards the smokers. I'm speaking from experience there before anyone moans that I'm some killjoy.

It's a seedy habit decades out of date and no one should be allowed to do it anywhere except in their own homes. Standing at bus stops or in lifts with them or walking behind them is a foul experience too.

You cant blame smokers for you inadequacies standing up for yourself, get new friends or stand your ground and dont bow to their whims

Quite probably but it doesn't alter the fact that its only certain establishments that have lifted the ban and not everywhere. Non smokers still have a choice of going to non smoking venues and if your friends smoking bothers you so much then get new friends.

As for wanting it banned everywhere thats not going to happen and whileever smoking is legal nor should it

Archived