Sad news of George Gill

bullerboY

Today I have received the bad news that the musician George Gill has died in Neunstadt Germany.George died from complications from a previous cancer operation,he was well known in the music world around Sheffield in the sixties and seventies.Our condolences go out to his family who has just been reunited with.any body wishing further information can PM me and I will give you my phone number.Is there anyone who can let Frank White and Joe cocker know of this sad loss? Mel Roberts

I assume this might be the same George Gill that was born on Botham st and has been mentioned on other threads i.e. the Grimesthorpe thread, if so, I knew his older brother Norman and remember young George and his sister Pat who might have been even younger. My question, is Norman still around and where might he be living?

George is featured in John Firmingers book(Not like a Proper Job) and he carried it around with him.He played with many sheffield bands in the 60s,Vance Arnold,Pat lesley,frank white,and a lot more he was also well known on the continent.When I last spoke with him we talked about all the old venues and we ran through them all and i told him that they were gone ,he said christ cant you give me some good news,he had not been back to sheffield for 30yrs and he was hoping to come at Christmas and see all his old mates.

• 5 months later...
Oh dear John & I are so very sorry to hear this news and we will let Frank and other friends of George know.

Hello Rainbow (Are you John's wife?)

I am George Gill's sister. I have arranged an interment of ashes service for George (details below). George as you may know died of throat cancer in Oeringen, Germany in November last year. He desperately wanted to get well to come back to Sheffield and see his old friends. He was making his second CD and said he wanted Sheffield musicians to play with him. Unfortunately he didn't make it but I have brought his ashes home to be interred in his mother's grave. The service will be short, nearby the grave. If any of George's old friends, musicians would like to come you are welcome or perhaps you could join us for a drink at the Beachief (Executive Lounge). His daughter Julie will be coming from Australia and a few of his German friends so it will be a small gathering.

We will gather at the Halls of Remembrance entrance, Hutcliffe Wood Gardens of Remembrance at 11.10

Afterwoods The Executive Lounge, The Beauchief Hotel, Abbeydale Road at 12.15

I do appreciate that you all have busy lives and may not be able to come but I wanted to let you know.

Best wishes

Patricia Watson nee Gill

Archived