Demo-lition 10.11.10 Who's going?

The other day I heard shouting on Woodseats, went outside to have a look what was going on ... half a dozen kids with a big red and yellow banner. 'Manchester to London Student Protest March'! I don't know if the others had got lost coming over the Pennines or whether they were hoping to pick up others along the way.

It didn't seem that well supported. no-one batted an eyelid tbh. I felt quite sorry for them.

Why? Those who are at university at the moment won't be affected by the higher fees.

If fees didn't increase and the costs were to be paid by taxpayers, then - as they will presumably be graduates and some of them might have jobs - they will be amongst the taxpayers lumbered with the additional costs.

Or aren't they bright enough to work that out?

Maybe they don't only care about themselves...

I saw an interview with some 18 year olds who expected to go on to university. One of them fully expected to earn £100,000+ after leaving university.

He couldn't seem to grasp that a large section of society might think it quite reasonable for him to chip in for the cost of his education when he was qualified and working...

And maybe they think that if they make enough of a fuss, the Tooth Fairy will pay the fees for them.

Which do you think is the more likely?

I was responding to your suggestion that they shouldn't be protesting because they would get no benefit if they were successful. I was attempting to help you understand the concepts of empathy and consideration of others' needs.

You now appear to wish to change the focus.

I have nothing to add regarding the likelihood of their success.

Archived