Does anyone remember Wragg family?

andywragg

My father has recently passed away and I wonder if anyone remembers him and his family who lived on the Manor Estate during the Second World War.

He was Cyril John Wragg born 1933, his father was Cyril Wragg a tool maker who worked in Stafford during the war (cycling back to see he's family every weekend), his mother was Rose (originally from Bethnal Green) and he had three sisters Hilda. Leslie and Margret.

He had many stories about he's boyhood in the war - does anyone remember a Polish airman leaping naked over back fences through the snow pursued by an irate husband or two brothers who deserted and shot a young policeman?

I am also interested in my great uncles - my great grandfather was Walter a file maker who married Florence Joby, they lived at Attercliffe Common. My great uncle Walter was in the 10th Battalion Yorks and Lancs and RASC in the first war, he was wounded on the Somme and survived being buried by shellfire in 1918 but I don't know what happened to him after the war - was he the Walter Wragg who owned the Car and Motorcycle dealership?

I was told he's younger brother Herbert and Stanley also served in the first war and that one had beem gassed while the other had shell-shock - they used to drive us around Dronfield in an old Morris with the partially sighted one driving while he's brother with the shakes directed him. If they did serve they would have been under-aged. I heard a rather dark story that they had been wounded in Russia (the Yorks and Lancs were in the Archangel campaign) and were sent to a hospital in Ireland were they were poisoned by a "fenian" nurse - could that be true?

Finally I have traced my branch of the Wraggs back to 1590 - so if any distant cousin's want any infomation on the family tree please ask.

Hi Andy,

My condolences on losing your father.

I used to go to King Edward seventh school in the '70's with a Wragg, I think he was called Stephen and I'm sure thank he had a brother too. They lived around the crookes area I seem to remember. You might glean some info on the following sites:-

http://oldedwardians.org.uk/

http://www.maulu.demon.co.uk/OE/

Best of luck my friend

Hi, Andywragg - a bit of a long shot, but...... my 3x great grandmotehr was Eliza (or Elizabeth) Wragg, married to a William Grayson, a grinder living in Stannington... And that is pretty much all I know about her, except I think she died around 1850, born around 1811...

Please let me know if you think there could be a connection!!! Thanks!!! :):)

Hi Andy,

My condolences on losing your father.

I used to go to King Edward seventh school in the '70's with a Wragg, I think he was called Stephen and I'm sure thank he had a brother too. They lived around the crookes area I seem to remember. You might glean some info on the following sites:-

http://oldedwardians.org.uk/

http://www.maulu.demon.co.uk/OE/

Best of luck my friend

I also went to KES, late 70s, early 80s and Lydgate.... There was a Jane Wragg there, who I believe was a distant relative, but I never got to the bottom of it!!!!! :) :)

• 4 years later...

Kidorry Was Bernard Wragg ,the boxer,a member of your family?If so I have a photo of him.He was killed in the second world war.

Hi Kidorry,

Are you still a member ? IF so can you please send me the photo you have of Bernard Wragg.

thank you

sheffsueme

Kidorry Was Bernard Wragg ,the boxer,a member of your family?If so I have a photo of him.He was killed in the second world war.

Hi Kidorry,

Are you still a member ? IF so can you please send me the photo you have of Bernard Wragg.

thank you

sheffsueme

I will try to send it you via a PM when I get it sorted, how to do it.

• 6 years later...