Chinese lantern damaged my car

Yes it's fair. I was setting off loads of Chinese lanterns till about 1am. I had a really good time.

Brilliant, fireworks are the coolest. Rockets are brilliant.. I love em, will be setting more off tonight having another bonfire party, saved all the big ones for tonight, can't wait boooooooom

Just about to start setting off my air bomb repeaters. Saved all the big fireworks for tonight..
I hope you had a good time and mummy and daddy made sure you were tucked up in bed after.

Last year, a student tried to run over my car. He slipped, dented my bonnet and smashed my windscreen.That little lot cost me a couple of thousand pounds. Maybe we should ban students:) Or drinking:suspect.
Not exactly the same. It's already illegal to be drunken disorderly or to commit criminal damage, so no new law is required to make what that student did illegal.

people just want to have fun with the lanterns and fireworks are the best and its not the ppl that set them offs fault we can not help where they land maybe 1day the makers of them will put a control on them so we can stop them landing in unwanted places but till then ur guna have to put up with it

people just want to have fun with the lanterns and fireworks are the best and its not the ppl that set them offs fault we can not help where they land maybe 1day the makers of them will put a control on them so we can stop them landing in unwanted places but till then ur guna have to put up with it

You've hit the nail on the head here. People can not help where they land. This is the nub of the problem. Last year a woman was fined £175 for discarding a cigarette butt onto a pavement and causing litter. The simple answer is to impose a surcharge on every Chinese lantern sold to act as a fine for the person discarding litter.

Chinese lanterns for sale £1 each plus a £50 littering surcharge. Would it catch on.

Not exactly the same. It's already illegal to be drunken disorderly or to commit criminal damage, so no new law is required to make what that student did illegal.

I know. However, gravity being as it is, the things are going to land somewhere. So whoever sets them off should be responsible for them landing.

If I took a brick onto Gilders forecourt and launched it randomly skyward, I'd guess that I'd be guilty of criminal damage if it landed on a nice new Audi. I wonder if launching a chinese lantern is any different, legally speaking.

I'm well aware that you'd have no chance of finding out who launched it though, just as I never found the smasher of my windscreen.

Chinese lanterns are already banned in several EU countries plus Australia etc.

Nick Clegg recently made a speech in the Commons about their dangers, and the farmers are petitioning for a ban after one Lincolnshire farmer lost 4 pedigree cattle in a single year through eating the things. Even the coast guards are complaing about sending out the life boats around 200 times last year after they were mistaken for distress flares.

I came upon this. It looks like a momentum is building

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1366846_chinese_lanterns_could_bring_down_a_jet?page=2&page_size=25

Manchester Airport is warning of the dangers of Chinese lanterns – amid fears they could bring down a plane.

Hmm, not terribly happy this morning. Went outside to see a Chinese lantern next to the car with ash everywhere and a scorch mark on the paintwork. That will cost me a few hundred quid to fettle.

As worryingly, I know farmers who have had expensive vets bills because of livestock eating them when they come down in fields.

Is it fair that peoples few moments of fun causes damage to others property and livestock?

Sure it wasn't the Lib Dem bubble!;)

Archived