Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

If Ifs and ands were pots and pans....

Yes maybe then we would still have our own utility companies instead of them being owned by countries such as France. Maybe companies would have still taken youngsters on to do an apprenticeship and we would still have a manufacturing base.

Slave labour. I'm all for decent training courses with an element of on-the-job training but this is something else. As others have said looking for a job is a full time job in itself and this wouldn't leave much time to look for real employment paying at least minimum wage.

And sick of repeating myself but they're aren't enough jobs to go round. Its not a case of the unemployed turning their nose up at hundreds of reliable full time positions...

Agree with this but the right way to go about it is to create jobs,we should look at stuff we have to import and manufacture ourselves,put the unemployed in these positions and pay them a wage to suit,even if the buisness is non profit making.

If then people refuse employment the ]n they should suffer the benefit cut.

Agree with this but the right way to go about it is to create jobs,we should look at stuff we have to import and manufacture ourselves,put the unemployed in these positions and pay them a wage to suit,even if the buisness is non profit making.

If then people refuse employment the ]n they should suffer the benefit cut.

Like cheap labour because people wont do menial tasks.

Like cheap labour because people wont do menial tasks.

No because they get enough on benefits not to go out an do these,its not cheap labour,its a wage and if it puts a roof and feeds em rather than us working people paying for them then its worth it to get them back to work.

About time is what I say. Too many choose benefits as a lifestyle these days. By making people undertake voluntary work in return for their benefits can only be a good thing. Picking up litter, cleaning graffiti, charity work etc. However, I do believe that this should be alocated on an individual basis, ie, time on Job Seekers, take into account previous work patternes etc so those who just don't want to work (god bless them!) are forced too.

Archived