Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

There isn't an 'hourly rate' for out of work benefits - just a weekly rate. But this new welfare reform will stipulate a set number of hours to be worked per week (at least 30) which means an hourly rate of pay in relation to benefit can easily be identified.

It can indeed. The proposal is that long term unemployed people will work for 4 weeks at 30 hours a week or lose their benefit for 3 months. So depending on how long they have been unemployed the hourly rate works out as follows -

1 year unemployed £3403.30 benefit - Hourly rate £28.36

2 year unemployed £6806.60 benefit - Hourly rate £56.72

5 year unemployed £17016.50 benefit - Hourly rate £141.80

Hardly starvation wages.

I understand your fears but hope the 2 scenarios are seperate and would hopefully not impose on each other.

I would expect the scheme to use people to do jobs that are not currently being done.

I'd expect the opposite, as

1. that's what's happened with similar past schemes (mentioned in some of the posts on this thread)

2. work that needs doing is work that needs doing- if there's no free labour there's a good chance someone will be employed to do it- if there is free labour available, clearly there's a very good chance that that will be used instead, which means one less person with a job.

1. that's what's happened with similar past schemes (mentioned in some of the posts on this thread)

2. work that needs doing is work that needs doing- if there's no free labour there's a good chance someone will be employed to do it- if there is free labour available, clearly there's a very good chance that that will be used instead, which means one less person with a job.

It's a 4 week scheme for the long term unemployed. No council is going to be able to lay off street cleaners or gardeners on the basis of this idea as is very short term. There's always a bit extra that can be done but I can't see any circumstance in which this would lead to council workers being laid off as a consequence of theis idea.

I hope this scheme does not result in your predictions.

Did you read my post 83???

Archived