Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

About time is what I say. Too many choose benefits as a lifestyle these days. By making people undertake voluntary work in return for their benefits can only be a good thing. Picking up litter, cleaning graffiti, charity work etc. However, I do believe that this should be alocated on an individual basis, ie, time on Job Seekers, take into account previous work patternes etc so those who just don't want to work (god bless them!) are forced too.

But what about the people who are already employed to pick up litter? What happens to their jobs if hordes of unemployed people are turning up every day? IDS can dress this up how he likes, but it seems to me like a way to provide some services on the cheap.

Irrelevant. This is the main news topic at the moment, and will be all through the week - leading up to the official announcement on Thursday.

Upon which I hope my EMTR thread comes into its own, today we have seen a few posts of value.

The value of the EMTR determines the incentive...

The proposed universal credit allows it, forced work is not even needed :)

An adult over the age of 25 gets £65.45 Job Seekers Allowance per week. Forced labour for 30 hours per week means that they receive just £2.18 per hour.

I'd say a person could sign, if timed right over a 10 minute period.

Considering associated 'passport' benefits, the lowest common denominator of Sheffield man using their NI number albeit whilst committing fraud could pull £150pw in 10 minutes for the fortnight.

Equivalent to £1800 per hour.

A disabled could edge towards the £million per hour mark for 'work done' (albeit signing a piece of paper).

Then with 459,000 jobs available (in September) that pay at least £5.93 it will be easy to better yourself.

But you didn't seem to understand the original question. Here it is for you to try again:

What's the hourly rate for receiving benefit and not doing any work?

Effective marginal tax rate of person taking job?

Job needs only be 1 hour+ and nmw to be advertised...

They even advertise £2.50 per hour apprenticeships.

Yes it is if there is work, I have a friend over 60 who has been unemployed over a year since being made redundant. He is applying for jobs every week and not just with local companies but cannot get one. When you are over a certain age and unemployed the chance of finding another job is slim. Is it fair that someone in that situation is made to go and do a job for £40 or lose their benefit? If there is a job then by all means give them the job but pay the proper rate.

Over 60 male or female = entitlement to pension credit.

£130 guaranteed weekly income.

HB CTB etc passport.

IS £250+ before tax in Sheffield.

Tell him (her) to claim pension.

What would the critics of this incentive do to break the cycle of people not working long term and living on benefits do to change the situation ?

Real practical measures not theory.

give people the training to get the jobs being advertised. get people whos tickets have run out eg cscs/pts/plant machinery or any other tickets they may which have run out but because they are now unemployed cant afford to renew them.also if this gov are serious about getting people back into work change the policy of being having to have been signing on for 6 months before they become eligible to do these courses.they not that quick so it seems to do this i wonder why .

One unpaid forced labour manual job on 'workfare' means one less job in the real economy. One workfare place means no tax or national insurance paid into the economy for the real work being done. As there will be a continuous stream of the unemployed to replace those who have just finished their four week involuntary labour job, much of the currently paid manual work done by the public sector will disappear. No longer economically viable.

Ian Duncan Smith MP clearly wants to break the vicious cycle of manual workers being paid a decent rate for their labour. The unemployed are being drafted in to reduce wages and further increase unemployment. This is what the super rich Tories Nick Clegg and Dave Cameron greatly desire.

And how does this proposal offer anything different ?

The stick is pretty obvious, - but where's the carrot ?

Support to get a job. they wont just be shoved in to some voluntary work and forgotten about. As I said volunteering can be a stepping stone to something much better. It was for me.

Ian Duncan Smith MP clearly wants to break the vicious cycle of manual workers being paid a decent rate for their labour. The unemployed are being drafted in to reduce wages and further increase unemployment. This is what the super rich Tories Nick Clegg and Dave Cameron greatly desire.
I will find it quite hard to take any future posts you make seriously after reading that.

Archived