Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Tell that to the 20,000 workers that had their jobs replaced by 'workfare' forced labour in New York due to a similar policy.

We are not in New York.

Neither have my family lived on a benefit culture lifestyle.

My parents instilled a work ethic in me and when our family was born my wife gave up work until they were at school.

Life is what you make it, many will find excuses but life is about choices and consequences.

Some fall on hard times and others suffer illness, these are the ones the welfare state was set up to look after not those who choose not to work.

We are not in New York.

My parents instilled a work ethic in me and when our family was born my wife gave up work until they were at school.

Life is what you make it, many will find excuses but life is about choices and consequences.

Some fall on hard times and others suffer illness, these are the ones the welfare state was set up to look after not those who choose not to work.

Well said.

We are not in New York.

The USA has had a similar programme for years, it's a good place to look for examples of how it might work. They replaced 20,000 full time paid public sector workers with 37,000 unpaid half time workfare people.

It is much more likely that when a full time employee leaves, or is made redundant, they will be replaced by an unwaged 'Work' programme worker.

. Yet workfare can't, and won't, remove the barriers to employment that keep people on benefit in the first place, like the lack of affordable child care for women or adequate training.

My wife was 1 of 8 children.

To make ends meet her father worked on an evening as well as in the day.

He had pride and felt it his duty to support his family.

Oh and by the way all his children are in work.

My wife was 1 of 8 children.

To make ends meet her father worked on an evening as well as in the day.

He had pride and felt it his duty to support his family.

Which is totally irrelevant to this thread. The point we're trying to make is that this will put more people on welfare, not get people off it.

Most unemployed people aren't lazy, there just isn't enough work for everybody at the moment, this will make the problem worse.

The USA has had a similar programme for years, it's a good place to look for examples of how it might work. They replaced 20,000 full time paid public sector workers with 37,000 unpaid half time workfare people.

America had a conscripted army maybe we should follow them.

Which is totally irrelevant to this thread. The point we're trying to make is that this will put more people on welfare, not get people off it.

Most unemployed people aren't lazy, there just isn't enough work for everybody at the moment, this will make the problem worse.

As said earlier why are immigrants able to get jobs then.

Archived