Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

£65.40 a week isn't a lifestyle choice.

You are forgetting the other welfare benefits (such as housing support) which can be claimed by the unemployed (plus at least in some cases, nice little earners via the black economy).

A point which is often ignored in this discussion is the fact that that working for a living can be unpleasant, stressful, undignified, boring and bloody tiring (it can of course be the opposite of all of these, but in many cases it isn't). It is therefore perfectly rational for many of the long-term unemployed (and indeed many of those on disability benefit) to stay at home and invent reasons why they cannot work. It is not however rational for our society to put up with it by funding their lifestyle choice.

I don't think that this has got anything to do with getting people back into work.

I think what is going to happen is that the councils all across the country are going to get rid of a load of low paid workers like litter pickers and they will be replaced with the jobless doing it for nothing.

It is all about saving the councils money.

If the work had been for charities then it would have been a good idea but the charities wont get any help from this.

Ensurances would have to be made that this doesn't happen. However there's so many jobs that could be done that noone else currently does, ie, tidying gardens for pensioners/disabled people, assisting in charity shops, cleaning graffiti up in parks etc etc. On the flip side, think of the supervisory jobs that could be created from this scheme.

This would go in the face of what the Con-Dems are saying - they want to get rid of jobs in the public sector.

Just shows what a futile exercise it will be.

This would go in the face of what the Con-Dems are saying - they want to get rid of jobs in the public sector.

Just shows what a futile exercise it will be.

Why will it be a futile exercise if it shows people there is a different lifestyle to the one they have at the moment ?

What would the critics of this incentive do to break the cycle of people not working long term and living on benefits do to change the situation ?

Real practical measures not theory.

Reform the benefit system.

All you need to do is the change the rates of benefit withdrawal.

Person works and earns £5. They keep £5

Person works and earns a further £51.85-£90ish, they lose 100% of this.

Person works and earns a further £X they lose an amount of this, depending upon circumstance the rate can be 85%, 76%, 96%, 116% and a few changes form band to band, before they no longer receive benefits and pay 31% tax.

As the system currently is, some people ARE better off on benefits.

I don't know if you have ever seen the 'reward' experiments they do on mice, but consider one in humans.

You give a human £130 a week in benefits.

They have the option of taking a £130 a week job.

If they take the job they will lose some £120 of their benefits and incurr travel costs of £20

Does the human take the £130, or work for £120, some negative £1 per hour.

If they take the £130 they have the option of working cash in hand for some £5 per hour.

It's so bloody simple a child could reform the benefit system.

If we are to force the unemployed to work for their benefits, then I think we could also reform council tax while were at it.

Instead of paying council tax, one should be forced in X hours of work in the community.

This would make sure everyone worked together in their community. Rich or poor.

Yours maybe ?

My last employer went bust, as did the previous 2.

Fortunately, I am now retired so it no longer matters to me but, I remember what a struggle things were at the time and would not have relished anyone kicking me whilst I was down.

I'm sincerely hoping that some of the "holier than thou" types on here, will end up in this situation - I guarantee that they will soon change their views

Archived