Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

You mean this...?

"This is not about intention. It is about practicalities, and attitude. If the coalition intends to punish the workless, it will destroy itself. If it means to help them, and is ready to spend money and delay cuts to do so, it should be cheered."

How likely are the coalition to delay cuts and avoid adding to the workless total by another half a million ?

Are you a bot?

Of course not. What makes you ask that?

Or a clone of either wednesday1 or Titanic99?

Nope, sorry. Is this an attempt at an insult?

Whatever, it's rather flogging a dead horse trying to have a meaningful discussion with you.

I do try and remain on topic, and only wish to highlight the vindictive and cruel nature of the Conservative/Liberal Democrat economic agenda. Forcing the unemployed to work for just £1 per hour might be very good for the economy (especially when it comes to competing with China and India), but it is, in reality, an attack upon the disadvantaged that will cause immense damage to social cohesion.

Please don't stone the messenger.

Forcing people to do things will only cause resentment and civil strife, that's riots to you.

It's not down to me, but if it was, I would offer education, whether academic or vocational but it would not, under no circumstances, be made compulsory. So no doubt you will try to pick the meat off the bones I have just thrown down.

They have the opportunity to take courses too - NVQs and/or adult literacy and numeracy... It's not a new idea, it's been run for decades and it helps those who have half an interest in finding new employment and it annoys those who have no interest..

They have the opportunity to take courses too - NVQs and/or adult literacy and numeracy... It's not a new idea, it's been run for decades and it helps those who have half an interest in finding new employment and it annoys those who have no interest..

No, the ConDem emphasis is firmly on forcing the unemployed into hard manual labour for just £1 per hour, which is a new idea - at least for the UK.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tories/Lib Dems advocated building labour camps to keep them all in one place...

No, the ConDem emphasis is firmly on forcing the unemployed into hard manual labour for just £1 per hour, which is a new idea - at least for the UK.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tories/Lib Dems advocated building labour camps to keep them all in one place...

Speculation about the rate of pay.

This scheme has been in place for coming up to 30 years - This is my whole point about it not being a new thing! It's disgusting for the government to pretend otherwise! It's been the same for 20+ years! Nothing has changed in the sense of the work shy doing work experience!

I fully agree Lady Star but people on here don't seem to realise that this has been going on for years and years. From what I have read they all seem to think that it is something new and revolutionary!

As far as I can see it's not going to achieve anything at all this time round in exactly the same way as it hasn't done for years past except "fudge" the unemployment figures.

Trust me ,there won't be much "hard manual labour" that you bang on about being done,only on mobiles!

I fully agree Lady Star but people on here don't seem to realise that this has been going on for years and years. From what I have read they all seem to think that it is something new and revolutionary!

As far as I can see it's not going to achieve anything at all this time round in exactly the same way as it hasn't done for years past except "fudge" the unemployment figures.

I too suspect that it won't achieve very much - although I hope I am wrong. Unfortunately, the ideology of welfarism is now so deeply entrenched in our society that it will probably take a mini ideological revolution in order to shift it. The Thatcherite vision to 'roll back the frontiers of the state' was only partially successful, in that although it succeeded in its market liberalisation aims, it left the issue of welfare reform largely untouched. I doubt whether the current coalition government has either the will or the bottle to grasp this particular nettle.

Archived