Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

What happens if you force a decreasing number of people (the ones who go to work for a living and try to pay their own way through life) to pay for more and more people who choose to live on benefits? Will that cause any resentment? Will it cause any civil strife?

You wouldn't make it compulsory. But presumably you would make it compulsory for those who did take advantage of your offer of education /training to support those who couldn't be bothered?

Or do you have some other means of supporting those who are voluntarily unemployable?

Without being rude, is English your second language? Would I be right to assume you are having a general moan about having to support the enemployed? Well, I don't know if you do for a start. If you do pay your tax, so what? So do other people and I don't see many of those moaning, except for the flamers/trolls over the Internet. These type of people are no doubt aided and abetted by such wrags as The Sun who have their own political agenda and are trying to influence public opinion into accepting a bad idea.

Secondly it is a benefit and is there to support people, what would happen if that support was taken away? No doubt we are all going to find out before too long.

I fully agree Lady Star but people on here don't seem to realise that this has been going on for years and years. From what I have read they all seem to think that it is something new and revolutionary!

As far as I can see it's not going to achieve anything at all this time round in exactly the same way as it hasn't done for years past except "fudge" the unemployment figures.

That's what I don't get either :confused:

There are umpteen threads on SF slating the services who get the unemployed into volutary work, but it seems that none of those people are about for this thread?

It doesn't do anything to fudge figures either - they are still claiming and so still on the rock and roll... All that is happening is that they have to take part in a voluntary work placement, and these have always been pretty varied, from private sector work to public sector - some doing cleaning/manual work and some doing office or shop work... If you have been out of it for a year or more, you have nothing on your CV a potential employer wants to see - Realistically whilst the government are turfing people out of their jobs left right and centre, it's these recently unemployed people who will find any new vacancies first anyhow... The long term ones, they have shown they didn't want work when there was plenty, and so volunteering will be a long slog for them now... I doubt that anyones benefits will ever be cancelled though... That's just hot air...

They have the opportunity to take courses too - NVQs and/or adult literacy and numeracy... It's not a new idea, it's been run for decades and it helps those who have half an interest in finding new employment and it annoys those who have no interest..

Perhaps some people would benefits from studying for NVQs perhaps some wouldn't, then what? Are people who have degrees expected to study for NVQs?

I believe I have already said what will happen if the government starts to bully people.

No, the ConDem emphasis is firmly on forcing the unemployed into hard manual labour for just £1 per hour, which is a new idea - at least for the UK.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tories/Lib Dems advocated building labour camps to keep them all in one place...

No, it really isn't - people have been sent on voluntary work placements, with the idea that they get used to dressing, washing etc for work, travelling to work and starting and finishing at particular times for years and years now - Please do not soak up the tory notion that they are inventing the wheel! It's a old idea that has been run for years and years to varying degrees of success... I would be suprised if these lot suggested workhouses, as they are a spineless bunch that wouldn't be able to stand the criticism should they really push to hurt the lazy...

Perhaps some people would benefits from studying for NVQs perhaps some wouldn't, then what? Are people who have degrees expected to study for NVQs?

I believe I have already said what will happen if the government starts to bully people.

Yeah!.........look what happened to Gordon Brown!

No, it really isn't - people have been sent on voluntary work placements, with the idea that they get used to dressing, washing etc for work, travelling to work and starting and finishing at particular times for years and years now - Please do not soak up the tory notion that they are inventing the wheel! It's a old idea that has been run for years and years to varying degrees of success... I would be suprised if these lot suggested workhouses, as they are a spineless bunch that wouldn't be able to stand the criticism should they really push to hurt the lazy...
Workhouses!............now that sounds a cracking idea for some round our way!

No, if you look at how this programme has been run for the last couple of years, additional quals aren't generally offered to graduates... Lit and num are normally what the long term unemployed need... Not too many graduates need help in finding 'a' job, although I have known grads sitting on the dole waiting for their dream job! I never did, as call centres weren't too low class for me when I wanted rent money... It's all about nurturing work ethic, and sometimes these programmes really work for people, and for some the desire to claim is just too strong...

From later posts it appears that the labour government brought in this type of scheme when they were in office.

If so why are labourites so critical of the new scheme ?

No, not Labour - These schemes were first bought in in the 1980's by Thatcher's government, and she was the leader of the Conservative party, incase you weren't sure of her colours!

UK social history seems to be something you are interested in - why not look up more of the schemes developed in this ear, and keep an eye out incase the new administation try to hoodwink you in future with policies that have been run for decades!

The government is about to introduce a scheme to force the long-term unemployed to work or face losing their benefits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11704765

Do you agree this with this or not? Should people have to work for benefits?

This is another load of crap from the worst government since the Thatcher days!!!

I agree that the benefits system is abused by some people, but some people need it & are genuine. This stupid idea is proofthat the government can't be arsed to review peoples cases individually & look after the public!!

What a bunch of toss pots!!

Archived