Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

From later posts it appears that the labour government brought in this type of scheme when they were in office.

If so why are labourites so critical of the new scheme ?

I believe these schemes were actually brought in by the Tory Party (possibly Maggie Thatcher) when all the steelworkers/miners were put out of work and there wasn't anywhere else for them to go so "work placements/training schemes" were brought in.

Although I stand corrected if I have got this totally wrong!!:hihi:

Yeah!.........look what happened to Gordon Brown!

Did Gordon Brown study for NVQs or are you referring to the fact that he may be considered a bully? Even if he was, he didn't do himself any favours did he? That's what I meant when I said bullying people will turn public opinion against you but how that is done differs from person to person. There would be little point in the masses going to the papers except to try and turn public opinion, so their most likely option is to riot. If enough people revolt, like they will eventually do in this circumstance, then the media will change their opinion.

I believe these schemes were actually brought in by the Tory Party (possibly Maggie Thatcher) when all the steelworkers/miners were put out of work and there wasn't anywhere else for them to go so "work placements/training schemes" were brought in.

Not totally wrong, lainey.

Yops and Tops schemes were brought in in the late seventies and early eighties before the pit closures and the miners' strike.

No, not Labour - These schemes were first bought in in the 1980's by Thatcher's government, and she was the leader of the Conservative party, incase you weren't sure of her colours!

UK social history seems to be something you are interested in - why not look up more of the schemes developed in this ear, and keep an eye out incase the new administation try to hoodwink you in future with policies that have been run for decades!

Sorry I thought from the posts they hadn't been implemented that long ago.

No, you are spot on - Our young friend is either playing devils advocate by pretending to believe these schemes are so recent (even though I said getting on for 30 years, after Thatcher broke the unions in a past post) or they have genuinely never known or heard of anyone go on about these schemes before...

No, if you look at how this programme has been run for the last couple of years, additional quals aren't generally offered to graduates... Lit and num are normally what the long term unemployed need... Not too many graduates need help in finding 'a' job, although I have known grads sitting on the dole waiting for their dream job! I never did, as call centres weren't too low class for me when I wanted rent money... It's all about nurturing work ethic, and sometimes these programmes really work for people, and for some the desire to claim is just too strong...

Ah, so you look like to see a two-tier system, where it doesn't apply to you? Now we are getting somewhere.

here we are:-

Youth Opportunities Programme

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Youth Opportunities Programme was a scheme run by the United Kingdom government for 16 to 18 year olds. It was introduced in 1978 under the government of James Callaghan, was expanded in 1980 by Margaret Thatcher's government, and ran until 1983 when it was replaced by the Youth Training Scheme.

Laughable... So when someone finally gets round to getting an interview, and I ask "What have you been doing whilst being out of work" and they say they have been litter picking and painting bogs for a year, as an employer, Id be having a laugh at their expense and be telling them "We`ll get back to you"

Sorry I thought from the posts they hadn't been implemented that long ago.

No, have a look at the posts I have put on - everyone thinking this was new, mine was the only voice saying these programmes were bought in when Thatcher was in power... I just couldn't understand why anyone in Sheffield thought this was new, as this forum slags off the very companies who deliver these programmes regularly:confused:

Archived