Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry I thought from the posts they hadn't been implemented that long ago.

That's what the Government wants you to believe. That what they are proposing is something totally new and revolutionary when its simply old hat -been there, done that, got the "T" shirt type of thing (well, not me personally!) - that has proved time and time again that it doesn't really work!

This is another load of crap from the worst government since the Thatcher days!!!

I agree that the benefits system is abused by some people, but some people need it & are genuine. This stupid idea is proofthat the government can't be arsed to review peoples cases individually & look after the public!!

What a bunch of toss pots!!

The main thing is to sensibly remember that this government has lit the blue touch paper under the hundreds of thousands playing the welfare system(something Labour knew they should have done but were too weak and scared of loosing votes)The genuine claimants will have nothing to fear.There's plenty playing the system round our way and most people throughout the country know one or two!

Ah, so you look like to see a two-tier system, where it doesn't apply to you? Now we are getting somewhere.

I don't 'look like to see' anything - this is the system that is in place, graduates who choose not to work, or who are waiting for their perfect job don't have to take additional quals, but they do have to take work experience programmes (and they tend to not be on the manual labour side)...

When I had the chance to sign on after uni, I didn't - I took a part time shop job and shared a grotty flat with others in the same boat... Later I worked my way up, I didn't get the ideal job, but equally I never had to 'retrain'... This is a option available to all, just as signing on is... I can't see what your point is?

Not totally wrong, lainey.

Yops and Tops schemes were brought in in the late seventies and early eighties before the pit closures and the miners' strike.

These programmes are not akin to YTS style Yops and Tops - These are akin to A4e Work/Remploy FND programmes... These were bought in the in early/mid 1980's and were for long term unemployed adults...

No, have a look at the posts I have put on - everyone thinking this was new, mine was the only voice saying these programmes were bought in when Thatcher was in power... I just couldn't understand why anyone in Sheffield thought this was new, as this forum slags off the very companies who deliver these programmes regularly:confused:
Callaghan was Labour wasn't he? Winter of discontent and all that, which led directly to the Tories getting in because we were all sick of the constant strikes and the Tories promised to do something about it.

No, have a look at the posts I have put on - everyone thinking this was new, mine was the only voice saying these programmes were bought in when Thatcher was in power... I just couldn't understand why anyone in Sheffield thought this was new, as this forum slags off the very companies who deliver these programmes regularly:confused:

Must have missed them.

My understanding was that this scheme was new because there were penalties for those who refused to comply.

Callaghan was Labour wasn't he? Winter of discontent and all that, which led directly to the Tories getting in because we were all sick of the constant strikes and the Tories promised to do something about it.
yea brought the country to its knees and guess what this lot are going to do the same hope your happy when the **** hits the fan

Archived