Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Callaghan was Labour wasn't he? Winter of discontent and all that, which led directly to the Tories getting in because we were all sick of the constant strikes and the Tories promised to do something about it.

Yes, but he didn't create the new deal style programmes that the government are trying to resell as new - it's extra dim that they are trying to sell old guff for new as these programmes have never stopped running, and are still running today (although Labour did change it in this last term, and tier it more recently so more experienced people with better qualifications didn't have to jump through the same hoops as those who had none)...

£1 an hour to clear rubbish... new IDS blitz on the workshy

The feckless unemployed will be forced to take part in a punishing U.S.-style ‘workfare’ scheme involving gardening, clearing litter and other menial tasks for just £1 an hour in a new crackdown on scroungers.

And if they fail to turn up on time or work hard they will be stripped of their dole for three months.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith will tomorrow unveil ‘compulsory community placements’ in an attempt to stop people living on benefits for years without bothering to look for work.

The ‘Workfare UK’ project will be targeted at tens of thousands of people suspected of sabotaging attempts to make them work.

The measure is a key part of David Cameron’s drive to slash Britain’s annual £192 billion welfare budget.

But Labour MPs condemned the scheme. One said: ‘This sounds like slave labour.’

The scheme is also likely to run into fierce opposition from some Liberal Democrat MPs.

Under Mr Duncan Smith’s anti-scroungers blueprint, employment office chiefs will be given the power to order the long-term jobless to take part in four-week mandatory work schemes.

Instead of receiving their usual £65-a-week Jobseeker’s Allowance for sitting at home doing nothing, they will get substantially less – and will have to clock on and off on time and work flat out.

The Government has not decided how much people on ‘community placements’ will be paid but it is understood the figure will be between £30 and £40 a week – the equivalent to £1 an hour, one sixth of the minimum wage.

They will also be expected to look for a ‘proper job’ for when they complete the scheme. Each participant will be expected to spend at least 30 hours a week on their specified ‘work activity placement’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327385/WELFARE-REFORMS--1-hour-clear-rubbish--new-IDS-blitz-workshy.html

So, not only being forced into manual labour, but the unemployed will have their benefits reduced as well. Anybody else get the feeling that this is really about punishing the poor for being poor?

they wont be shackled together will they..and wear stripey jump suits...

I don't 'look like to see' anything - this is the system that is in place, graduates who choose not to work, or who are waiting for their perfect job don't have to take additional quals, but they do have to take work experience programmes (and they tend to not be on the manual labour side)...

When I had the chance to sign on after uni, I didn't - I took a part time shop job and shared a grotty flat with others in the same boat... Later I worked my way up, I didn't get the ideal job, but equally I never had to 'retrain'... This is a option available to all, just as signing on is... I can't see what your point is?

That's the point I am making, they have a choice. If you start bullying people into something they don't want to do it will cause resentment and they will hate you for it. Not a very good position to be in if you're a politician and you may require these peoples' votes. Worse still, when people start to riot (not just because of making the unemployed work but also because of other issues, think back to the early 80s riots) it will cause damage to property and will have to be paid for. Sure, people may claim on their insurance but it's not a nice feeling going through the lengthy process and things would unlikely to be the same again.

I don't know if I'm "lucky" or what but I left school at 15 and have worked all my life. I have been unemployed but never long enough to actually claim any money.

But I do appreciate that these days things are totally different from when I left school and if you are one of the unfortunate long term unemployed then it is far harder to get a job than for someone who has been working all their life.

I really do feel sorry for young people coming onto the job market, graduates who have spent x number of years at University (albeit some only going to obtain a totally useless degree but a degree nevertheless!) and still cannot obtain unemployment, disabled who find it harder each year to find work and lastly the people who are really at the bottom end of the employment market - the long term unemployed.

Until more jobs are created then there are going to be more people unemployed.

I read on here time and time again that there are thousands of jobs available.

Unfortunately from information I have read I believe there are more unemployed than there are jobs so how are people going to get jobs and especially with the same Government who are wanting people to get work are putting people out of work and yet at the same time making those in work work longer before they can retire - it really doesn't add up!

So where are all the jobs for all this "work experience" going to come from?

Archived