Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Interestingly the poll has consistently had two thirds in favour or the proposal. It looks like a popular policy even in the People's Republic. Expect it to happen.

I do expect it to happen - and it to be just as harsh, if not more so, as the Tory press is indicating. Why? Well, Ian Duncan Smith's welfare reform - the universal credit - will cost £billions to implement. So quick savings are going to have be found elsewhere - such as losing nearly half a million public sector jobs. This will, of course, impact upon employment in the private sector. Then there are those people who are claiming incapacity benefit, many, if not most, of these people will suddenly find themselves 'able to work' and be placed on Jobseekers Allowance - at a much lower financial rate than incapacity benefit.

Ian Duncan Smith is simply going to have to make those who are out of work poorer, yet the level of jobless benefit is below, in real terms, the levels when Mrs Thatcher was in power.

Meanwhile £75 billion in tax evasion by the rich (according to a Commons Select Committee) goes unrecovered, and the bankers carry on as usual...

It has been a very obvious propaganda job, I'm amazed that people have fallen for it so easily. In the run-up to the Comprehensive Spending Review all the Tory papers were printing headlines about benefit cheats with the obvious aim of making the cuts more palatable. Convince people that everyone on welfare is conning it and what does it matter if you get rid of mobility allowance for people in care homes, trapping them indoors?

It's also incredible that some people are still trotting out 'get a job' in the middle of a recession. Perhaps they'll stop when the unemployment figures reach 5 million but I'll not hold my breath. I really hope they lose theirs.

It helps that the Daily Fail trots out their faux outrage non-stories accompanied by a few stock phrases which are guaranteed to have "Angry of Chipping Sodbury" choking on his cornflakes.

One step at a time. The revolution will involve getting out of bed before Trisha.

Interestingly the poll has consistently had two thirds in favour or the proposal. It looks like a popular policy even in the People's Republic. Expect it to happen.

If its popular here then its a dead cert to happen:roll:

I do expect it to happen - and it to be just as harsh, if not more so, as the Tory press is indicating. Why? Well, Ian Duncan Smith's welfare reform - the universal credit - will cost £billions to implement. So quick savings are going to have be found elsewhere - such as losing nearly half a million public sector jobs. This will, of course, impact upon employment in the private sector. Then there are those people who are claiming incapacity benefit, many, if not most, of these people will suddenly find themselves 'able to work' and be placed on Jobseekers Allowance - at a much lower financial rate than incapacity benefit.

Ian Duncan Smith is simply going to have to make those who are out of work poorer, yet the level of jobless benefit is below, in real terms, the levels when Mrs Thatcher was in power.

Meanwhile £75 billion in tax evasion by the rich (according to a Commons Select Committee) goes unrecovered, and the bankers carry on as usual...

£75 billion in tax evasion by the rich?.............I bet our local plumbers and roof repairers have evaded much more than that!

There's a lot that don't pay taxes and send money abroad!

I think these are coing to the UK on intracompany transfers and usually undertake work in the IT field. They do not pay UK tax or national insurance but get paid a UK allowance, usually £2,000 or so per month. They are generally from Indian companies contracted to UK businesses.

One step at a time. The revolution will involve getting out of bed before Trisha.

Not really, it may demonstrate that specific websites are full of trolls just trying to pick an argument and that most people who vote on a poll are the Percy Sugdens and Hyacinth Buckets of this world. Then there are the media companies who are pulling peoples' emotions and trying to persaude public opinion one way or the other and is generally politically orientated. Only a real thicko would not realise this.

Not really, it may demonstrate that specific websites are full of trolls just trying to pick an argument and that most people who vote on a poll are the Percy Sugdens and Hyacinth Buckets of this world. Then there are the media companies who are pulling peoples' emotions and trying to persaude public opinion one way or the other and is generally politically orientated. Only a real thicko would not realise this.

Everyone except you eh?

Still don't want to hear the truth.

You are a minority whose views are not accepted by the majority.

Accept it.

Archived