Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Problem with such ideas is that it will affect the low paid in employment most. It will just ensure that they have to work for less, for fear of unemployment. Some employers will use it as a threat to employees who aren't happy with their lot. We've started a race to the bottom.....

Why are you always defending the rich mossdog?
I am only defending principals!............the wise words from the Bible refer to"taking the log from your own eye".............in other words,don't just blame the problems of society on one class of people when your own class are up to their necks in it as well!............and lets remember that no one class of people of any persuasion has a franchise on the interests of the poor! although some on here would like to persuade you otherwise!

I take it that members of this forum might have watched Dispatches on television last night which exposed the fact that at one particular company in Leicester the workers were receiving £2-3 per hour in conditions that that made certain 3rd world countries look far superior to ours. It appeared to be the norm in that type of situation.

I take it that members of this forum might have watched Dispatches on television last night which exposed the fact that at one particular company in Leicester the workers were receiving £2-3 per hour in conditions that that made certain 3rd world countries look far superior to ours. It appeared to be the norm in that type of situation.
So why do you think that they were accepting £2-3 per hour...............given that they might not earn that in the country that I suspect most have originated from? cash in hand as well which makes a difference!

So why do you think that they were accepting £2-3 per hour...............given that they might not earn that in the country that I suspect most have originated from? cash in hand as well which makes a difference!

Outstaying student visas seems to be the main reason.

I am only defending principals!............the wise words from the Bible refer to"taking the log from your own eye".............in other words,don't just blame the problems of society on one class of people when your own class are up to their necks in it as well!............and lets remember that no one class of people of any persuasion has a franchise on the interests of the poor!

What a load of mumbo jumbo.

so are you moaning about the pay these people were getting or the conditions they were working in ?

Anyone who really believes that an occasional month of involuntary community work for long term work avoiders is going to instil a new-found sense of responsibility in them must also believe in fairies.

Equally ludicrous is the idea that employers will be more likely to give a job to those who have been through this process. Employers, unless they're exceedingly dim, will spot the difference between those who have used their own initiative to pursue voluntary work and those who have been forced to do so by the DWP.

As a measure to reduce the deficit and reform the attitude of the careerist benefit claimant it's about as seaworthy as the Marie Rose.

And has anyone mentioned yet how much it is going to cost ?

so are you moaning about the pay these people were getting or the conditions they were working in ?

Not moaning just pointing out in answer to the comments on this thread that Benefit receivers will be "Forced to work for less than the minimum wage" there are already people out there who are choosing to live a life where they already choose to do that. Also I don't think that the working conditions where little or no H&S precautions existed should be tolerated. There were many losers in the programme ranging from the exploited workers to the taxpayers and even the genuine workers who lost this work due to sweat shops undercutting them.

Archived