Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

We are a country that will soon have work gangs, composed of people who have committed no crime, toiling in the cold for no pay, on our darkened roads and streets (because Cameron and Clegg would rather give our money to the EU than pay for proper street lighting).

This is just hysterical nonsense. Anyone would think that workfare is to be the equivalent of slaving to death on the bridge on the river Kwai. All those affected are being asked to do is to do some work for a few weeks rather than sitting at home doing nothing (who knows, the 1.5 million or so souls who have been unemployed for over ten years might actually like it).

This is just hysterical nonsense. Anyone would think that workfare is to be the equivalent of slaving to death on the bridge on the river Kwai. All those affected are being asked to do is to do some work for a few weeks rather than sitting at home doing nothing (who knows, the 1.5 million or so souls who have been unemployed for over ten years might actually like it).

Has it reduced unemployment in the USA?

I don't think the comments are aimed at the likes of you or others who have fallen on hard times and are seeking employment.

My understanding is that the scheme is aimed at those who have no intention of ever working and settled into such a lifestyle.

Good luck to you.

Many thanks for your words of support, but I'm wondering how the people that will be in charge of this scheme will be able to differentiate between such as myself and those among us that have no intention of ever working. After all, all we will be to them is just a name on a long list.

Has it reduced unemployment in the USA?

US policies relating to unemployment have undoubtedly had a big impact on the extent of long term unemployment. It is true that the unemployment rate in the US is high at the moment (running at about 10%) but I very much doubt if around a third of this total is comprised of people who have not worked for ten years or more, as is the case in the UK. Moreover, the employment rate (as distinct from the unemployment rate) is significantly higher than in the UK, so we should not be misled by comparisons of unemployment rates when considering welfare policies and benefits.

I don't think the comments are aimed at the likes of you or others who have fallen on hard times and are seeking employment.

My understanding is that the scheme is aimed at those who have no intention of ever working and settled into such a lifestyle.

Good luck to you.

How is that going to be determined? At what point of unemployment are people deemed suitable for such a course. At present the definition of long term unemployed is 6 months.

Whatever the case may be, it is still bullying people and bullying causes resentment. You cannot expect bullied people to take it laying down, there will come a time when it's time to fight back. Like I said, at some point and I don't think it's too far away to be honest, the bully is going to require your vote.

Many thanks for your words of support, but I'm wondering how the people that will be in charge of this scheme will be able to differentiate between such as myself and those among us that have no intention of ever working. After all, all we will be to them is just a name on a long list.

Earlier on this thread I think someone posted that it was at the discression of the job centre to decide who went on the scheme.

I wouldn't worry, there is a lot of scare mongering and sensationalism being posted on this thread.

Most people realise how sole destroying it is to be out of work and sympathise with you.

What would you as an employer do yourself to improve the situation ?

Are you training your staff work skills ?

If I was an employer, I wouldn't want to employ anyone who didn't want to work for me because they would just be full of resentment. It's highly likely they would damage business links and possibly business assets. On top of that, an employer would be required to make sure they turn up and that's even more added admin work running around after people and more trouble than it's worth.

Archived