Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

what pride is the to be had in a community that forces people to work for less than the minimum wage?
Far more pride than could ever be had for a community that allows the lazy and feckless to be fed, kept warm and dry and given spending money for luxuries irrespective of whether they are prepared to work for it.

I say gas the prisoners as previosuly mentioned and then gas anyone who claims beenfit for 12 months, then gas anyone wearing sporting clothes with their bottoms tucked into their socks and then I will see who is left.
You know, when you think about it, Britain might just be a better place if we did just th......

Sorry.

This morning was a very wet, windy and generally unpleasant weatherwise. Now consider the two scenarios below:

Millions of people got up early, braced the inclement weather, struggled through heavy traffic, or endured unpleasant journeys on crowded buses or trains in order to get to work on time. At work, they may be engaged in tasks which they don't find particularly interesting, or may have to work with people they don't particularly like, or be subject to various stresses and strains which are an integral part of many jobs. And at the and of the working day, they face another struggle through the traffic, or the nightmare of public transport in the rush hour, with their minds probably still churning over thnigs that happened during the working day.

Others (and perhaps in particular the 1.5 million who have receiving unemployment benefit for ten years or more) will face none of the trials and tribulations mentioned above. Instead, they can stay in their warm beds, watching Jeremy Kyle on their flat screen TVs, casually eating breakfast, whilst deciding which of their leisure pursuits to partake in that day - perhaps a spot of computer gaming; or posting on internet forums; or taking the Staffie for a walk, or a spot of fishing, if the weather picks up etc etc. And of course if the weather remains inclement, they don't have to go out at all.

Nobody is being made to work.

All that's being introduced is that now their actions (or indeed lack of actions) will have consequences, that's all.

Really? So what if someone's money is stopped and they are unable to buy food, then what?

This morning was a very wet, windy and generally unpleasant weatherwise. Now consider the two scenarios below:

Millions of people got up early, braced the inclement weather, struggled through heavy traffic, or endured unpleasant journeys on crowded buses or trains in order to get to work on time. At work, they may be engaged in tasks which they don't find particularly interesting, or may have to work with people they don't particularly like, or be subject to various stresses and strains which are an integral part of many jobs. And at the and of the working day, they face another struggle through the traffic, or the nightmare of public transport in the rush hour, with their minds probably still churning over thnigs that happened during the working day.

Others (and perhaps in particular the 1.5 million who have receiving unemployment benefit for ten years or more) will face none of the trials and tribulations mentioned above. Instead, they can stay in their warm beds, watching Jeremy Kyle on their flat screen TV, casually eating breakfast, whilst deciding which of their leisure pursuits to partake in that day. perhaps a spot of computer gaming; or posting on internet forums; or taking the Staffie for a walk, or a spot of fishing, if the weather picks up etc etc. And of course if the weather remains inclement, they don't have to go out at all.

I do rather like the sound of the latter.

After all, my mortgage interest would be paid for me as well as most of my council tax and other freebies, and if I kept the business going on the side, part time cash only, I'd probably have as much disposable income as I have now. Especially if I take advice on how best to 'fill in the forms' so I can add IB to it for a bit of stress or bad back.

Cracking idea.

Archived