Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

The jobs market is saturated with hundreds of thousands of people with exactly the same qualifications (or lack of them), the same experience and the motivation to find a job. They do not need an incentive to work. The jobs are simply not out there - or are being taken by migrant workers. If the ConDems were to start a comprehensive job creation process, and at the same time re-skill the population for free, whilst ending all economic migration, then the situation would change.

It should be remembered that three quarters of all highly skilled economic migrants in the UK are in unskilled jobs, according to Home Office figures.

There are half a million jobs available.

Here's that question for you again: What's the hourly rate for receiving benefit and not doing any work?

The jobs market is saturated with hundreds of thousands of people with exactly the same qualifications (or lack of them), the same experience and the motivation to find a job. They do not need an incentive to work. The jobs are simply not out there - or are being taken by migrant workers. If the ConDems were to start a comprehensive job creation process, and at the same time re-skill the population for free, whilst ending all economic migration, then the situation would change.

It should be remembered that three quarters of all highly skilled economic migrants in the UK are in unskilled jobs, according to Home Office figures.

I agree with you on the point that whist we have immigrants filling jobs and our own people unemployed, it is just not logical.

Also if we have skilled tradesmen coming in to this country where is the incentive for employers to run apprenticeship schemes.

I also think we should reintroduce technical schools for those not academically minded.

no because if this comes off they will be working albeit still poor and needy but glad your happy

But the point is that it will encourage them to better their lot and not just drift along on a benefits lifestyle. It is there to drive change and show people there is a different way.

There are half a million jobs available.

How many of them are full-time positions, paying a decent living wage?

Here's that question for you again: What's the hourly rate for receiving benefit and not doing any work?

I refer you to my previous response, in post #40. Thank you.

But the point is that it will encourage them to better their lot and not just drift along on a benefits lifestyle. It is there to drive change and show people there is a different way.
yea i can see them all down at the jobcentre eager to pick litter or whatever it is the condems think they will be doing.knowing that it gives them some pride to be doing something for the benefit they recieve :hihi:

yea i can see them all down at the jobcentre eager to pick litter or whatever it is the condems think they will be doing.knowing that it gives them some pride to be doing something for the benefit they recieve :hihi:
If they don't they won't receive any benefit

How many of them are full-time positions, paying a decent living wage?

There are half a million jobs available. You said that there were none or that immigrants were taking them. Make your mind up.

I refer you to my previous response, in post #40. Thank you

That's not an answer to the question though. What's the hourly rate for receiving benefit and not doing any work?

From your responses it is reasonable to assume that you think it's OK for people to remain on long term benefits without putting anything back into society. Is that correct?

You miss the point they will be doing something in return for their benefits, learning a work ethic and the responsible attitude that you don't get something for nothing

I don't miss the point- I'm saying that even if there were positive effects for some of the unemployed, the fact remains that a large number of the manual workers currently doing these jobs, will now be out of work.

Why should hard working people currently happy to do those jobs and who need them to support their families, be made unemployed so other unemployed people can be 'persuaded' to do them for free?

There used to be a scheme where employers were encouraged to take people on at minimum wage and government would make contribution to employer - thus dole queues down, unemployed get training and can still claim such as housing benefit - don't this is still going on though is it?

Archived