Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

Lord Freud, a Merchant Banker with no experience of social policy whatsoever, helped implement/facilitate the second NL Welfare Reform Act on the strength of only 13 weeks research!

He also plucked the figure that 2/3's of disabled people could work out of thin air, he is not a doctor, how on earth could he know how capable people are?

Oh, and many of the posters here who post diatribes against unemployed people and disabled claimants may find themselves in that position one day soon as the cuts bite into the private sector, or as wages are driven down by this slave labour wil find they are working three jobs and still sleeping in their cars as in their beloved US.

So your big idea is lets continue to throw money at the serially idle?

Great plan..that should sort the deficit.

So your big idea is lets continue to throw money at the serially idle?

Great plan..that should sort the deficit.

Throwing money at the banks caused the deficit, but then again the unemployed and the disabled are a much easier target aren't they.

Since the government themselves concede that there are only less than half a million vacancies at the moment, do you have any suggestion as to where the other 2 million jobs might come from?

Since the government themselves concede that there are only less than half a million vacancies at the moment, do you have any suggestion as to where the other 2 million jobs might come from?

Yes exactly! Why won't anyone answer this point that several of us have made?

I can't answer your question but can state that it has been reported by the government that 70% of jobs created in the last 13 years have been filled by foreign workers.

I work for the Home Office and that is a crock. I suspect it's just put together to scaremonger people and persaude them into accepting less immigration, despite the facts that MAC give.

Don't like work dodgers but this issue is an anatherma, If they can find 30 hours of neccessary work within our community for a unemployed person then that by definition is a proper job and they should be paid accordingly.

And what about all the "jobs" that are found for those on community service? Surely these are also jobs that should be done by people for a proper working wage.

I know of someone doing community service in an old people's home. Not actually working with the elderly people but in the laundry room (giving it a thorough cleaning which she says doesn't seem to have been done for years!!) but again surely this is a job that someone should be getting paid for.

I always thought that community service was supposed to be a punishment for doing wrong - but can't work out where cleaning a laundry room is punishment!!!

But these are the type of jobs that the unemployed most probably will have to do too and that's where the system is totally wrong - linking together those on community service with those unemployed making it a "punishment" for being out of work!

Archived