Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

There isn't an 'hourly rate' for out of work benefits - just a weekly rate. But this new welfare reform will stipulate a set number of hours to be worked per week (at least 30) which means an hourly rate of pay in relation to benefit can easily be identified.

Whereas people who do nothing all week get a weekly benefit:huh:

So this works very well in America.How come all the no sayers think it wont work here.

Are we just softer here?

Are people in a trap, used to being spoon fed by the state?

Are the people of Sheffield happy to pay taxes to allow this to go on where there is an estimated 5 million people on various out of work benefits in the UK.

We now have one of the highest rates of workless households in Europe.

Explain why we should want this to continue please.

If immigrants can find jobs why can't people from this country ?

The immigrants will take what work they can.

Depending on where they are from the minimum wage is much better than wages they could get in the country they have come from.

To many societies it is just natural to go to work and some would not understand why you would not want to.

Personally I couldn't stand to be unoccupied all week,it would drive me crazy.

In a short period in my life when I was out of work due to illness, when I was ready to get back to work, I was so bored I went off to do some voluntary work which led to a paid job and then to a full time job.

So this works very well in America.How come all the no sayers think it wont work here.

Are we just softer here?

Are people in a trap, used to being spoon fed by the state?

Are the people of Sheffield happy to pay taxes to allow this to go on where there is an estimated 5 million people on various out of work benefits in the UK.

We now have one of the highest rates of workless households in Europe.

Explain why we should want this to continue please.

I'm happy enough to pay taxes to keep someone ''who needs it'' warm, safe and happy.

We dont have this debate when giving to charity at home, or abroad.

how are you supposed to look for work but at the same time be forced (hand up back) to do slave labour?

I was going to ask the same question, Craig.

In principle, it's a good idea to have a Workfare type scheme, but is it going to work in practice?

How will the claimant get time off this menial work, to go job hunting? To attend interviews?

How will the benefit claimant escape the poverty trap? Where will s/he find work if every employer is taking on people who aren't being paid a proper wage?

We had something like this 15/ 20 years ago, it was called "E-T":- Employment Training.

Claimants received an extra ten quid on top of their dole money, to do menial work for up to a year, in order to (supposedly) get experience and qualifications to enable them to get employment. The carrot being the hope that the company they were doing their ET with, would keep them on as an employee with a Bona Fide job at the end of the year's "training".

The reality was that the trainees were back on the dole at the end of the year, whilst the employer got richer and richer, and fatter and fatter on the backs of the trainees' slog. Lo and behold, if they didn't just bring in another batch of claimants to replace the previous lot, and start the cycle all over again.

After all, why pay a proper wage for the job when you can wring all you can get out of each fresh batch of claimants through the ET scheme, and dispose of them easily enough at the end of the year?

The Community Programme was far better, in a lot of ways.

It was a job; only for up to a year, granted, but you were paid the proper rate for the job, whilst you were doing it. Again, there wasn't always hope that you'd bee kept on at the end of the contract, but at least you were paid for the work you did.

Archived