Workfare - Long-term jobless 'made to work'

Do you agree with working for benefits?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with working for benefits?

• Yes
    • No

how are you supposed to look for work but at the same time be forced (hand up back) to do slave labour?

What's been proposed at present is a four week block rather than an unending full time slog reaching into the distant future. Long term unemployment can see a person's sense of routine slide, and part of the reasoning which I can see is to get people back into the habit of getting up and having structure again. Getting involved in voluntary work has the same effect, though to my mind if someone is proactive enough they would seek out some such useful activity anyway while they had the spare time, to keep their hand in and their self respect intact. Whether this will help those who have become inert and hopeless I don't know.

I'm not a tory lover, but I have a measure of respect for IDS's long and (I believe) genuine exploration into the most wretched corners of society and the messy complications and defeatism of life at that end of the scale. I believe he personally does want to introduce new ideas that can help (e.g. getting people back into a habit of daily routine again), though I also believe that the rest of the tories do not share his creditable understanding and will apply the thumbs screws with glee no matter what (rolling the idea out into chain gangs, pushing people into work they are not fit for, etc). I don't think the two approaches mix. I also think it's inhuman to get judgemental about unemployment at the present time, especially as the kinds of services that used to provide a reasonable stable of work are about to get the stuffing knocked out of them so increasing the squeeze on job hunting.

But I guess that the work that will be offered will be in organisations for instance such as the voluntary sector where there is tons of work that needs doing and as( usually ) voluntary sector organisations run on a shoe string and everyone has often to be jack of all trades, then there is usually plenty to keep someone occupied on a short term basis.

As has been explained on this thread already often being out of work for a long time means that you simply cant even get in to any sort of routine and most jobs are about some routine. being on time, taking breaks when told.,covering for others ( team work) etc etc.

So doing this will give someone a stepping stone in to the world of work again and for some this alone is a barrier and once they get over that then the can progress further in to other work, or even work within the same company if a job comes available.

As I understand it if you've been unemployed more than a year you will have to go on a four week programme once a year where you work community projects and so on. If you don't do it you lose benefits for a further 12 weeks.

So 4 weeks out of 52 you have to work 30 hours weeks to get bens for the full 52 weeks. If you don't you lose bens for up to 12 weeks so still get 40 weeks a year of benefit. Its hardly slave labour or particularly unreasonable

Archived