Who can afford scratchcards?

I live in Batemoor and often need to pop into the co-op on Jordonthorpe. I'm constantly amazed at how many people who don't look like they've got two pennies to scratch there bottoms with always seem to have a few quid to spend on 'scratchies'.

'Two number 4s, a number 16 and three 2s please' they say.'Oh and 40 fags, some rolling baccy and some rizlas'

There must be some money in these parts or am I missing sommat?

I live in Batemoor and often need to pop into the co-op on Jordonthorpe. I'm constantly amazed at how many people who don't look like they've got two pennies to scratch there bottoms with always seem to have a few quid to spend on 'scratchies'.

'Two number 4s, a number 16 and three 2s please' they say.'Oh and 40 fags, some rolling baccy and some rizlas'

There must be some money in these parts or am I missing sommat?

Its the same at our corner shop ,all payed for with milk tokens meant for the baby.

They just encourage people who can't really afford them to 'chase the dream.' If they weren't government sponsered they'd be banned.

Makes me laugh at the co-op though. They can't even get out of the shop before they're frantically scratching away and then when they lose, the card is simply discarded onto the floor and more often than not they light a roll up to cheer themselves up.

A bloke in the flat above me hasn't worked since I've lived there and I've seen him buying scratchies a few times. Oh well, at least the government gets back a bit of the money it gives him. Ha ha.

Archived