America has a lot to answer for

You've been watching too many American movies Mr Prime, Theres more to the USA than Hollywood or a week at Disney World like most Brits think.:)

That's true though I have travelled the nation twice. First time courtesy of Amtrak, second time with an RV and I loved every minute of it including meeting rednecks. I find the contrast between the cities and small towns quite pronounced. I spent time in a small town called Starlight - PA 18461 and remember a bar with 'No guns or knives' above the entrance. Some locals would go on about 'faggots' if they saw one of us limey longhairs at the bar. However the sophistication of NYC, San Francisco and LA more than made up for it.

I also think Carter has been unfairly treated due to the Iran hostage crisis. He did attempt a brilliant military rescue, pure bad luck stopped it. This apparently meant to some he did nothing much then dim Reagan got in.

Not that you would want anybody to think you supported generalisations. ;)

Well we have to generalise in a casual conversation like this, that was just a personal observation. I could get the lowdown on the entire population and write a statement about all 300 million of them of course.:)

Anyone agree with me that America has a lot to answer for ?

Fads that have found their way into UK which cause annoyance to other people:

Teens on skateboards:on the pavements, you have to dart out of the way to avoid being hit, on the road.....you have to brake to avoid hitting them.

Halloween: Your trying to settle down to watch TV and there's knocking at the house door for most of the evening and the security light is going on and off.

Hooded tops: teens hanging around on street corners with hood pulled up covering their faces..........intimidating !

Burgers: everywhere you go there's a burger bar to be seen.

Blame the historical lack of culinary imagination in Britain on the rise of the burger. Before Indian Tandooris, Chinese take aways, Greek retaurants and the Golden Arches all there was was fsh and chips, bread and butter and tea

I remember those days well. If you could afford to eat in a restaurant the slices of roast beef were so thin you had to place a fork on it to stop it floating away :hihi:

Blame skate boarders on your council's lack of or unwillingness to pass by laws prohibiting skateboarding on sidewalks and posting signs to that effect along with the penalties for violations. We have them in my town and no problem as a result.

As for hoodies freedom of dress goes with democracy whether you approve of them or not. Maybe you'd like to pass laws on dress code? Ties and suits only on Sundays and ban Halloween also. You wouldn't be too popular with thosands of kids though but still you could replace it with Maypole Dancing Day every May or June. :D

Archived