America has a lot to answer for

Trailer park or a Council flat? - I've been in both. I helped somebody re-decorate a council flat a few years ago. It needed some fairly extensive work, but it was structurally sound in a very pleasant neighbourhood (not quite Mr Rogers' Neighbourhood, but not bad) and there weren't many chavs around. I would've been quite happy to live there - it was considerably better than the private rental he and his family had been living in for the previous year and the rent was far lower, too.

Not all council estates are chav-infested tips.

I also had a friend with a 'double-wide' in Big Bend, Tx. It was comfortable enough, but the 'Tornado Magnet' appellation is not without a degree of truth.

When I first moved to the US, I lived in Battle Creek, MI. There was a corridor about 20 miles South of where I lived which seemed to get an inordinate number of tornadoes. Land there was very cheap (and nobody built on it.)

I've lived in and visited a number of areas which are prone to tornadoes and - although there is no hard and fast rule and there are no guarantees - it does seem that for some reason, tornadoes seem to follow paths repeatedly. Those areas of land which have a bad reputation for tornadoes are cheap; those which don't tend to be more pricey. Trailer parks tend to be built on the cheaper land.

It's a bit like England, in some ways. There is no cheap building land in England, but some land is cheaper than other land. Land on flood plains tends to be cheaper than land which is part way up a hill. I can't imagine why.;) (Nor can anybody else - given the number of plonkers who buy houses on land which used to be called 'The Village Duck Pond' and then wonder why it floods when there's a heavy rain shower.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Florida has started to curtail trailer homes after the last few hurricanes blew a lot of them away. Most of them are owned by Snowbirds down from the north for the winter. Property prices are cheap in Florida these days as the property market is a basket case in that state For around 100 thousand dollars you can buy a nice two bedroom condo, maybe cheaper if you pay the price outright and they come with community pools and club houses.

I couln''t believe the number of new apartment/condos begging buyers when I was last there two years ago. Brits are snatching some of them up at bargain prices.

These old Snowbirds from Canada and the northern and mid west states still cling to their aluminum palaces however but god knows why. They all seem to own late model Cadillacs and Buicks so it's not a matter of not being able to afford

You know, it kind of bothers me the way some bandy the word 'redneck' about, as if rednecks were a separate species of human or a breed of dog. The slang term today is a long ways from the original meaning of the word.

I think a redneck is not the same thing as a hillbilly, either. They all get lumped together on this forum. Some think the difference is purely geographic. Hillbillies live in the mountains and rednecks live in the country. Some think the difference is cultural. Hillbillies sing, are ingenious and make do with what they have. They make their own liquor (moonshine), and have strong family ties. (here come the the incest jokes!) They will take their family member's side over anyone else's right or wrong, and their disagreements with outsiders will involve the entire family. Their fights can last for generations. Like the famous feud between the Hatfields and McCoys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud

The fictional Jed Clampett and clan, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton are all hillbillies.

The stereotypical redneck chews tobacco, is racist, (though he believes in God) and has a rifle and a bible in his truck. He lives in a trailer, loves Nascar and buys his booze from the store.

Bo and Luke Duke are rednecks. So were Bonnie and Clyde.

I tend to agree with Jeff Foxworthy, being a redneck is more a choice or state of mind. Anyone, anywhere, from any socioeconomic level can be a redneck. I've had redneck neighbors who actually had a few bucks with a horse trailer in their yard, saddles on the front porch and hay all over the place and I live in California. A chav is just a redneck by another name.

That's right! If any of you are ever out in Northern California, stop at the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, California. You can go on a tour of the brewery and eat lunch. And they have a microbrew. I'm not big on beer, but it's quite good. :)

http://www.sierranevada.com/index2.html

There are some good breweries in Arizona too (the only state I've really visited)

You know, it kind of bothers me the way some bandy the word 'redneck' about, as if rednecks were a separate species of human or a breed of dog. The slang term today is a long ways from the original meaning of the word.

I think a redneck is not the same thing as a hillbilly, either. They all get lumped together on this forum. Some think the difference is purely geographic. Hillbillies live in the mountains and rednecks live in the country. Some think the difference is cultural. Hillbillies sing, are ingenious and make do with what they have. They make their own liquor (moonshine), and have strong family ties. (here come the the incest jokes!) They will take their family member's side over anyone else's right or wrong, and their disagreements with outsiders will involve the entire family. Their fights can last for generations. Like the famous feud between the Hatfields and McCoys.

The fictional Jed Clampett and clan, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton are all hillbillies.

The stereotypical redneck chews tobacco, is racist, (though he believes in God) and has a rifle and a bible in his truck. He lives in a trailer, loves Nascar and buys his booze from the store.

I tend to agree with Jeff Foxworthy, being a redneck is more a choice or state of mind. Anyone, anywhere, from any socioeconomic level can be a redneck. I've had redneck neighbors who actually had a few bucks with a horse trailer in their yard, saddles on the front porch and hay all over the place and I live in California. A chav is just a redneck by another name.

funny how you can use the words redneck or hillbillie but not <REMOVED> a chav is just an imitation <REMOVED>..

That's true though I have travelled the nation twice. First time courtesy of Amtrak, second time with an RV and I loved every minute of it including meeting rednecks. I find the contrast between the cities and small towns quite pronounced. I spent time in a small town called Starlight - PA 18461 and remember a bar with 'No guns or knives' above the entrance. Some locals would go on about 'faggots' if they saw one of us limey longhairs at the bar. However the sophistication of NYC, San Francisco and LA more than made up for it.

I also think Carter has been unfairly treated due to the Iran hostage crisis. He did attempt a brilliant military rescue, pure bad luck stopped it. This apparently meant to some he did nothing much then dim Reagan got in.

carter was redneck peanut farmer who left america with 21% inflation rate gave millions to n korea on the promise they would'nt build nucular weapons:hihi:..IF the ""brilliant rescue team"" had made it to tehran they'd have been hundreds left dead on that badly planed mission....obama is just a chocolate jimmy carter

[/b]

carter was redneck peanut farmer who left america with 21% inflation rate gave millions to n korea on the promise they would'nt build nucular weapons:hihi:..IF the ""brilliant rescue team"" had made it to tehran they'd have been hundreds left dead on that badly planed mission....obama is just a chocolate jimmy carter

Quite a lot of truth in that.

Very good points Sierra but you have to excuse some of the posters on here since they couldn't tell a Redneck from a hippy half the time.

Some Rednecks have jobs and careers that make more money than you and I ever will have

Archived