America has a lot to answer for

[/b]

carter was redneck peanut farmer who left america with 21% inflation rate gave millions to n korea on the promise they would'nt build nucular weapons:hihi:..IF the ""brilliant rescue team"" had made it to tehran they'd have been hundreds left dead on that badly planed mission....obama is just a chocolate jimmy carter

One of the worst presidents we ever had and he's still around today spouting off advice to anyone who is dumb enough to listen to it.

Tell me about it! - We bought a building plot in Melbourne in 2007 for $30k. It's now worth $15k but I couldn't give a damn, because house prices also fell dramatically. A house which would've cost us $270k is now offered for $150k, so I'm not going to bother to build. - I may lose 15k (less tax) on the land, but I should save about $120k on the house.

Florida building regs were tightened up after hurricane Andrew and 'new build' must now be poured concrete or brick (AFAIK.) - Not that either of those could withstand a hurricane; I was down at Homestead AFB in 2001 and I saw a 2ft section I-bar which had been twisted like a Brezl!

I'm surprised Brits are still buying. I had a friend in Norfolk about 12 years ago who owned a home in Florida in which he spent the winter. Not a problem. He was semi-retired, as was his wife and they could take the time off to go there.

I understand that nowadays, non-residents can only stay for 3 months at a time. I would've thought that might curtail the British snowbirds.

I also saw a programme on UKTV recently which suggested that British holders of E2 Visas were being held strictly to the terms of the visa and, given that the economic climate isn't that good, many were having to go home. There is still no shortage of entrepreneurial Brits prepared to 'have a go' however.

I've visited Florida a couple of times but it's not my choice of a place to live.

Too humid, no mountains, hurricanes and billions of bugs.

I'll take California any day.

Temperature today in the mid 70s, sunny and mild with a slight chance of earquakes later on :D

[/b] funny how you can use the words redneck or hillbillie but not <REMOVED> a chav is just an imitation <REMOVED>..

Ahhhh, you'll have to forgive me. I really didn't mean it in a disparaging way. I honestly don't know what else to call them. It's there another word that's more polite? And if it's such a bad word, why does everyone use it? You all don't use the 'n' word, why is it ok to use the 'c' word? Just curious.

I simply meant that from my yank perspective, it seems to me that the same standards that would make someone a redneck in America seem also to apply to those you refer to as 'chavs' in England. They don't have to be er, <REMOVED>, but it's how they like to live. I don't know how else to describe it, they're the types who are happy with who they are and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. As Harley pointed out, some of them can have a lot of money, you'd be surprised. I knew a girl in high school whose father owned a huge spread in the Dubin Hills and whose mother's family once owned half of the Iron Horse Trail in northern California.http://www.ebparks.org/parks/trails/iron_horse

These people were loaded, yet she drove one of her dad's filthy farm trucks to school and was sent out of class more than once to change her muddy boots. This song was written about her. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JdbxcU-fDs&feature=related

Although this isn't nearly as bad as the time I used what is an innocent term in America that's considered quite rude in England. Much to the amusement of the entire forum. I can laugh about it now, but it was really embarrassing at the time. :hihi:

There are some good breweries in Arizona too (the only state I've really visited)

I've heard that but have never visited one. :(

The last time my family was driving through there, I sooo wanted to stop and visit one in Flagstaff. Look! It's on the way! My husband however, was in a hurry and didn't want to stop because he wanted to visit the Hoover Dam. Can you believe that? What a man I married. Oh well, I love him anyway. :)

[/b]

carter was redneck peanut farmer who left america with 21% inflation rate gave millions to n korea on the promise they would'nt build nucular weapons:hihi:..IF the ""brilliant rescue team"" had made it to tehran they'd have been hundreds left dead on that badly planed mission....obama is just a chocolate jimmy carter

Well if that's your view then fine. I just look it with a foreign head from a distance. I can't imagine the Iran rescue was planned by monkeys. It failed in the desert due to mechanical errors. To my knowledge Carter was a highly nuclear physics qualified intelligent southern gentleman and far from a redneck. It could also be said that Reagan ignored AIDS, left the nation with a massive deficit, sold arms to Iran and left government bigger than when he started but yes he had the feelgood factor that Carter didn't. Perhaps that's because Carter told the people about the problems America faced while Ronnie focussed more on the Soviets.

I also think Carter has been unfairly treated due to the Iran hostage crisis. He did attempt a brilliant military rescue, pure bad luck stopped it. This apparently meant to some he did nothing much then dim Reagan got in.

Carter didn't attempt anything at all. He just decided to back a totally ridiculous plan against the advice of many of his cabinet.

Operation Eagle Claw, Delta Force's debut mission, was probably the most misconceived hostage rescue operation plan of all time. It had almost no chance of succeeding, even its planner only gave it a 30% chance.

what happened was that they looked at the Israeli Entebbe rescue mission, which was a huge success, and thought that it must be easy to effect hostage rescues over thousands of miles of land and sea. Guess what. It isn't.

That's true though I have travelled the nation twice. First time courtesy of Amtrak, second time with an RV and I loved every minute of it including meeting rednecks. I find the contrast between the cities and small towns quite pronounced. I spent time in a small town called Starlight - PA 18461 and remember a bar with 'No guns or knives' above the entrance. Some locals would go on about 'faggots' if they saw one of us limey longhairs at the bar. However the sophistication of NYC, San Francisco and LA more than made up for it.

I also think Carter has been unfairly treated due to the Iran hostage crisis. He did attempt a brilliant military rescue, pure bad luck stopped it. This apparently meant to some he did nothing much then dim Reagan got in.

Wrong Mr Prime, Carters attempt failed due to him being a weak president, Iranians got a little nervous when they knew Reagan was going to sit in the big chair, they knew then they had to let them go.....coincidence, I think not.

You see, people had Reagan figured as a mild spoken push over, the Air Traffic controllers thought that too didn't they ?

Carter didn't attempt anything at all. He just decided to back a totally ridiculous plan against the advice of many of his cabinet.

Operation Eagle Claw, Delta Force's debut mission, was probably the most misconceived hostage rescue operation plan of all time. It had almost no chance of succeeding, even its planner only gave it a 30% chance.

what happened was that they looked at the Israeli Entebbe rescue mission, which was a huge success, and thought that it must be easy to effect hostage rescues over thousands of miles of land and sea. Guess what. It isn't.

I expect you are right but if Carter were some kind of wimp he would have done nothing or relied continually on diplomatic means alone. That the plan failed and had a slim chance is a seperate issue surely? I am guessing that the thinkers who came up with the plan saw it as the best option regardless. To me it is simply not logical to say "Carter was soft, so soft in fact that he tried an audacious military plan (not designed by him) that never got off the ground, this makes him even more soft"

Archived