Asking for proof of age

Was in the Co-Op at Stannington Sunday lunchtime when the young woman in front of me asked for some cigarettes. The assistant asked if she had any identity. The young woman looked bemused and said she was thirtythree!

The assistant said well you could be under twentyfive and I can't serve you!

There was no way that young woman was in her twenties!

She went out of the shop and was served in the shop next door!

Think some shop assistants need eye tests!!!

I got asked for Id in sainsburys not so long ago when buying Guiness, was incredibly annoyed at first as i had to dig around in my purse for my driving license and there was a massive queue, felt quite flattered afterwards though as i was in sloppy mode, hair hanging messily down my back and no make up on :hihi:

I'm 33 :rolleyes:

and a legal requirement for the shop and the shop assistants...? it could cost them their licence, the staff member their job, and a mahoosive fine!

not if the shop assistants believe the purchaser is over 21/23/25. then it is just annoying and stupid.

Morrisons I think ask for ID no matter what now. My dad of 41 was buying booze for the weekend, when the complete spanner of a till fella said to him ''Are you 25?'' he didn't sound like he was joking either. My dad replied with ''Neow'' the till fella looked completely confused and proceeded to put through the beers. Felt like saying ''Im 19, and I'm his son, do the maths fella'' but if it's his job... must make you feel like a right tool though asking everyone.

So you can't be served if you're under 25 but the legal age to buy tobacco and alcohol is 18? That doesn't actually make much sense, why is the legal age 7 years below the age you can be served?

Yes, it's silly as well as annoying. I feel like a child being chastised when I don't have my ID on me but I'm nearly 25, I stopped carrying ID years ago! Then they brought in all these new laws and I've had to start carrying it again just to buy tobacco, the problem is I'm a klutz and I lose things easily. It really does annoy the carp out of me when I don't have it on me and they refuse to serve me because I know there's no frigging way I look under 18.

They have those fingerprint ID thingies at some shops, which would be convenient so that you don't have to carry ID everywhere but I don't trust things like that and don't want my prints to be in any sort of system... what if I want to rob a bank one day?? :D

Archived