Asking for proof of age

But, it doesn't change the fact that it's not hard to carry ID around. And that if you look under 25 you will be ID'd. I can't see the problem with it. I also don't know why people complain about things that can't and shouldn't be changed.

They'd complain more if stores kept selling to underage kids.

it might not be hard but there is no reason a person should be penalised when they forget their ID owing to some pathetic store policy.

it might not be hard but there is no reason a person should be penalised when they forget their ID owing to some pathetic store policy.

It's not a pathetic policy... It's the pathetic people who sue everyone that have caused this, and actually not just them it is actually for the health of people too.

If it wasn't done, and a 17 year old got served alcohol, and went on a massive rampage, everyone would have something to complain about then.

It's not fair to expect the cashier to automatically know peoples date of birth, and if it cannot be proved, then they should not be served.

no, but shaz is right, on a transactional level, that is all that is happening. there is no law to support what you are advocating.

But the policies are in place, so what do you want cashiers to do, ignore what they're told and get sacked, and maybe fined (if indeed that person isn't old enough) for the sake of a few people who cannot carry ID?

I find that hard to believe. You do not 'sell to a group' you sell to ONE person, and if that person has ID you have not broken the law.

you break the law if you sell alcohol to:

anyone underage

anyone who is drunk

anyone who is buying on behalf of someone underage

anyone who is buying on behalf of someone who is drunk

a police officer in uniform

Its not the stores fault one looks under age and clumsily forgot something they knew they would set out to need to gain alcohol.Its the customers own fault.and you might think the policy is stupid but you wouldn't be saying that if they sold willy nilly to 15,16 and 17 year olds who hang around in gangs, get drunk then beat up innocent passer bys though I'm sure they're capable and have the low mentality to do that anyway.:hihi:

Well technically it is the law, the law is that you cannot sell alcohol to someone under 18, but sometimes 18 year olds look a lot older (like I did) so to cover this, you have to LOOK over 25, or you get ID'd. Whether it's policy or law (I refuse to say either because people will argue whether they actually know or not) it's the only way it can be done.

No, you're changing the subject. There is no technicalities with the law; either one exists or it does not. If an over 18 HAS GOT ID, you are not breaking the law by serving them, regardless of who they are or are not with. You may or may not be breaking some messed up store policy, of that I do not know.

Archived