Asking for proof of age

I have heard of places not sreving anyone under 25.

thats up to them if they want to do that.

the final decision is with the person who bears the consequences - the licensee.

its entirely upto the retailer to decide if they want to sell it, not up to the customer to decide if they want to buy it. if the 'supermarket jobsworth' says no, customer dont get.

the law states that you can legally buy alcohol (and other stuff) once you are 18. it doesnt state that shops/bars have to sell you alcohol (and other stuff) just because you have turned 18.

thats up to them if they want to do that.

the final decision is with the person who bears the consequences - the licensee.

its entirely upto the retailer to decide if they want to sell it, not up to the customer to decide if they want to buy it. if the 'supermarket jobsworth' says no, customer dont get.

the law states that you can legally buy alcohol (and other stuff) once you are 18. it doesnt state that shops/bars have to sell you alcohol (and other stuff) just because you have turned 18.

Yes I understand that, certain clubs are over 25, but if the law states it is legal to go in a shop and purchase something at 18 the only reason I can see the supermarkets not to is because they are bowing under pressure.

If I had an off licence I would not refuse anyone old enough but you're correct it is down to the retailer.

**unless someone standing next to them has no ID** :roll:

It brings us back to the "onus of responsibility" problem. If it's theoretically possible that the person with ID is buying alcohol in order to give it to the person standing next to them, the retailer has no choice but to refuse the sale.

It's always theoretically possible, even if you believe the person is honest and isn't going to do so. You might be wrong.

Yes I understand that, certain clubs are over 25, but if the law states it is legal to go in a shop and purchase something at 18 the only reason I can see the supermarkets not to is because they are bowing under pressure.If I had an off licence I would not refuse anyone old enough but you're correct it is down to the retailer.

thats it, in a nutshell.

the threat of prosecution is a lot of pressure. and its not just pressure of prosecution and a criminal record, its the threat of losing your livelihood as well.

and if you owned an off licence (and were the licensee and/or was doing the serving) you would be all to aware of those pressures and think twice about making sure that the person was old enough, then you wouldnt have to refuse them.

its all to easy to criticise something you dont agree with when you dont personally have to face the consequences of making the mistake. when you find yourself in that situation you would change your mind pretty sharpish.

(thats not directed at you personally, alex3659, just anybody that doesnt seem to get that a bottle of alcohol to them can mean something entirely different to somebody else depending on which side of the sale you are sitting).

The ask-25 policy reduces the level of risk involved in a checkout operator mistakenly thinking the person buying alcohol is old enough to do so. This is a policy introduced by supermarkets to make life easier for their staff, and to cover their own backs in the event of an under 18 being discovered buying alcohol from their stores.

Without a policy like this, it means the supermarket is having to draw on the world experience of the checkout operator to think if they need to ask for ID or not, and then what they would do if presented with an iffy one or a customer who refuses or doesn't have ID. Anyone know any training courses to help you identify the age of a customer? No, neither do I. The policy eliminates this risk as much as it can.

Whilst lots of people in this thread seem to think the person selling the booze gets clobbered hardest if they unwittingly sell to an under 18, they don't - a supermarket checkout operator would get an £80 on the spot fine. Its the licencee (the name above the door - supermarkets have these just like pubs) who gets the big fine.

Considering all this then how come there are so many cases of underage people hanging around with alcohol? Where do they get it from?! Parents?:loopy:

That; and either other 'older mates' buying it for them, or them buying it directly from less scrupulous shops.

Like this one:

http://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/news/4562561.Supermarket_owner_fined___50_000_for_selling_alcohol_to_children/

Archived