Asking for proof of age

I know, if everyone has their date of birth tatooed on their forehead that would solve the problem, always assuming the cashier is good at maths.:hihi:

it tells them what date to check for on the till. again cuts out the risk of them getting it wrong

I know, if everyone has their date of birth tatooed on their forehead that would solve the problem, always assuming the cashier is good at maths.:hihi:

They have a barcode reader to add up the prices of the goods.

We'd need people to have a barcode too and to scan their heads for correct DOB :hihi:

Considering all this then how come there are so many cases of underage people hanging around with alcohol? Where do they get it from?! Parents?:loopy:

A 13 year old member of my family was referring to 'drinks' on facebook the other day.

I gave them a bit of wind up, pointed out how stupid they were being by putting it on facebook when they are friends with their mum and that they would be breaking the law by purchasing alcohol.

I directed them to a site explaining how to brew their own and thus drink alcohol legally.

It's the only sensible solution. In America, it's illegal to buy alcohol without ID, even if you are eighty and look ninety. It removes the responsibility from the vendor, who shouldn't be dumped with it anyway.

i was asked for i.d when going into a gig in the states as the club had an over 21's policy, but i didn't have any and the bouncer had to go and get the manager to decide whether to let me and my husband in as he thought we both looked too young ......i'm 37 and my husband is 34 :D

Didn't know that but the point still stands, if person has proof of being 18 years old they should be served.

If a person has proof they are 18 and is not with younger people or suspected of buying for younger people then they would be served.

The problem is that it is all down to the cashiers perception of someones age, believe me this is not easy for the assistant, and most do not enjoy making challenges. To make it easier the 25 policy was introduced to some stores.

Remember a store can loose it license if it fails a test purchase, loosing a license for many convenience stores would make it unprofitable at the loss of jobs and a convenient store for the area.

The cashier that fails risks a fine up to £5,000 and a criminal record (often just an £80 spot fine and police interview).

The answer is easy > all people wishing to buy any age related product, must produce ID, everyone would then know to carry and show ID, and the assistants perception would be removed from the equation.

I know the civil liberties brigade would be against this, but the current system is not fair to the cashiers.

England -land of the free.

Tesco, ASDA (put your own shop, company etc. etc.) now act to police us in this nanny state.

It's not just alcohol or cigarettes-razors, eggs, flour (yes that's flour!), glue, solvents.

Try going through the scanner till with any of these and the "system" tells you that you must wait for authorisation - which I find demeaning.

Go to any big event , pub, football match and get policed, questioned, frisked by rent-a-cop security.

Talk about lowest common denominator mentality - just because one person in a hundred may abuse doesn't mean the other 99 should put up with this nonsense.

It's our fault for meekly giving in - if they won't serve you without this rigamarole then

tell them where to stuff it.

And don't ever use a supermarket loyalty card - boy, do they get some info from those in return for some pathetic points system which saves about a penny in the pound.

England -land of the free.

And don't ever use a supermarket loyalty card - boy, do they get some info from those in return for some pathetic points system which saves about a penny in the pound.

Why? Does it really matter that Sainsbury know I prefer Cross and Blackwell baked beans?

Archived