Asking for proof of age

I presume that they knew the girl who is 23 was going to be drinking the alcohol, and therefore without proving her age, cannot be served.

Of course they didn't know, they have no way of knowing. Some jumped up till assistant is deliberately making life difficult for someone for their own amusement. Solution - don't shop there anymore and let the manager know why.

in Blackpool you have to look 30! im 23 and my boyfriend is 28, the lady wouldnt serve me as i had no ID but would serve my boyfriend, made me laugh as he does not look 30 haha.

Last year we were doing some shopping in tesco in sheffield, we wanted to buy 3 bottles of wine, amongst other shopping, but because i had my boyfriends bank card in my purse and it looked like i was going to be paying for it, he asked me for ID and i didnt have it, so he wouldnt serve me. i said no my boyfriend is paying for it, its his shopping and his bank card, i was just saving it for him, the man replied no he cant buy the alcohol either now as i asked you for ID, i have to refuse the sale. we were furious

After the debate on this thread, surely anybody who is buying alcohol for anyone under-age would have enough sense by now to leave them outside the shop while they did it.

What gets me about these laws is how anyone who leaves home at the age of 16 ever manages to set up house for themselves any longer when they can't even buy a knife and fork.

Of course they didn't know, they have no way of knowing. Some jumped up till assistant is deliberately making life difficult for someone for their own amusement. Solution - don't shop there anymore and let the manager know why.

That's a bit harsh. Most till assistants don't really like to challenge, as it's a bit awkward, and if the customer kicks up a fuss it can be embarrassing. You let the manager know, and I'm pretty sure he'll support his till assistant with the no I.D - No sale policy. If you are going to refuse to shop in any store with this type of policy you will pretty much be boycotting all the major supermarkets

I'm losing patience quickly...

Some morons declare it.

And managers will back up the cashier, who is correct....

No they haven't, I challenge to find the law that states they have to ask everyone in the entire group for ID. It's nonsense

Have you actually read the thread or are you trying to just argue with everyone?

I suggest you read the entire thread, and then MAYBE you will understand why the group MAY be ID'd.

No they haven't, I challenge to find the law that states they have to ask everyone in the entire group for ID. It's nonsense

The law says that if the alcohol ends up being drunk by someone under age, the retailer is guilty of a criminal offence.

Ergo, if there's any possibility whatsoever that this may happen, the retailer is the one who has to rule it out.

Archived