Asking for proof of age

So you can't be served if you're under 25 but the legal age to buy tobacco and alcohol is 18? That doesn't actually make much sense, why is the legal age 7 years below the age you can be served?

It's not... You have to LOOK over 25 to be served without being asked for ID. If you're 18 or over, you can still buy alcohol/tobacco once you've provided proof of your age.

It's the only sensible solution. In America, it's illegal to buy alcohol without ID, even if you are eighty and look ninety. It removes the responsibility from the vendor, who shouldn't be dumped with it anyway.

I think that would be a good idea. I know from experience that it's awful deciding who to ID and who not to. If you could just ask everyone, it would solve the problem completely. And it's okay everyone complaining about being ID'd but it's not them who is running the risk of losing their job, and a fine!

you can legally buy alcahol at age 18..

the challenge 25 policy is...if you don't look 25 yrs old, you will be asked for id.

its because a lot of young people look older than they are, its very difficult to tell how old a young person is.

its not just alcahol, it also covers things like tobacco, knives, lighter fluid and solvents.

most people are asking everyone just to cover their own backs..its too much of a risk when their job could be at risk.

i've never been asked, but my driving license is in my wallet anyway.

and a legal requirement for the shop and the shop assistants...? it could cost them their licence, the staff member their job, and a mahoosive fine!

and a criminal record too i work in retail and you have to be soo carefull if i have any doubt at all if i have had to look twice i dont serve its just not worth it

I think that would be a good idea. I know from experience that it's awful deciding who to ID and who not to. If you could just ask everyone, it would solve the problem completely. And it's okay everyone complaining about being ID'd but it's not them who is running the risk of losing their job, and a fine!

I worked in a supermarket for 3 years so I know what it's like to have to ask people for ID. The thing is I didn't just blindly ask anyone without grey hair for it. People getting ID'd in their 30's is ridiculous.

A bit of common sense is in order, that's all.

Morrisons I think ask for ID no matter what now. My dad of 41 was buying booze for the weekend, when the complete spanner of a till fella said to him ''Are you 25?'' he didn't sound like he was joking either. My dad replied with ''Neow'' the till fella looked completely confused and proceeded to put through the beers. Felt like saying ''Im 19, and I'm his son, do the maths fella'' but if it's his job... must make you feel like a right tool though asking everyone.

Haaa. I did that once, lass asked me if I was 18, said no and she was like 'erm I cant serve you' so I said 'naaw im 19 love' :hihi: What does annoy me, local shop to me, everyone who works there knows my age - yet one still asks me for ID everytime I go. Theres been other workers there who've said 'shes old enough - serve her' but this one girl, refuses point blank unless she see's my out of date passport (its the only id I have!!)

I worked in a supermarket for 3 years so I know what it's like to have to ask people for ID. The thing is I didn't just blindly ask anyone without grey hair for it. People getting ID'd in their 30's is ridiculous.

A bit of common sense is in order, that's all.

But some people in their 30's do look really young. I used to ID this same guy every time he came in and he was 32 (I didn't remember him, he just reminded me every time I did it, so at least I was consistent)

I have a friend who's 28, and she honestly looks about 17/18.

I for one couldn't care less if people got the face on for me ID'ing them, at the end of the day it's become a lot more strict, and if they carry their ID on them, then it's not much of a problem (I always have mine on me).

And I don't see why people don't see it as a compliment!

Archived