Asking for proof of age

No they haven't, I challenge to find the law that states they have to ask everyone in the entire group for ID. It's nonsense

that law has already been stated, as have all the others. i'll state them again:

it is illegal to serve an age restricted product to:

anyone who is underage

anyone who is buying on behalf of someone who is underage

anyone who is drunk

anyone who is buying on behalf of someone who is drunk

a police officer in uniform

ergo, if they are all in a group when the alcohol is bought it is reasonable to assume that they may all be drinking it (one person paying for it on behalf of everyone else to be able to drink it). therefore it is reasonable to assume that they all need to be asked for id if they all appear to be under 25.

whether they are all actually going to drink it is irrelevent, the possibility is there so the precaution has to be taken.

if that law didnt exist then there would be no need to id everyone in the group. if you think its nonsense and wish for it to be challanged then you would need to lobby your MP about it.

It's the only sensible solution. In America, it's illegal to buy alcohol without ID, even if you are eighty and look ninety. It removes the responsibility from the vendor, who shouldn't be dumped with it anyway.

This isn't always the case - I remember being in a self serve restaurant in Miami, admittedly quite a few years ago with my now ex wife who is a few years younger than me, but she was about 24 at the time - she went to the cashier to pay for the food and drinks which included an alcoholic one for me and a soft drink for her - and the cashier asked her for ID - I went up to the till to find out what was wrong but when the cashier saw me she said "Oh if it's for you it's fine!" and my ex wife proceeded to pay the bill

The law says that if the alcohol ends up being drunk by someone under age, the retailer is guilty of a criminal offence.

Ergo, if there's any possibility whatsoever that this may happen, the retailer is the one who has to rule it out.

Well in that case the government needs to make alcohol illegal as these jobsworth shop assistants cannot be sure who will be drinking the alcohol after it's sold.

By the way you do not have to be 18 to drink alcohol in a private residence

Well in that case the government needs to make alcohol illegal as these jobsworth shop assistants cannot be sure who will be drinking the alcohol after it's sold.

By the way you do not have to be 18 to drink alcohol in a private residence

Probably best to follow the buyer home to ensure its not drunk in the streets by someone under age.

It's easy to criticise, but why not try offering a solution, unless your 'Well in that case the government needs to make alcohol illegal' was your idea of a solution?

Do you have an alternative solution?

Common sense and discretion.

If you have to ask someone who's 50 for ID to confirm that they are over 18 you should probably go and stay in a padded cell until you're cured of being an idiot.

I see nothing wrong with challenge 25, but cashiers who can't tell the difference between an 18 year old and someone in their 30's have just switched off their brain.

The law says that if the alcohol ends up being drunk by someone under age, the retailer is guilty of a criminal offence.

Which really makes no sense at all, since a parent can legally give a child alcohol (over 5) at home.

Ergo, if there's any possibility whatsoever that this may happen, the retailer is the one who has to rule it out.

Which also makes no sense, surely that isn't the wording of the law, it must be that if the retailer suspects (and I guess the test in court would be whether a 'reasonable' person should have suspected) that it will be drunk illegally.

You can be fined £5,000 and left with a criminal record for exercising common sense and discretion. Do you have an alternative that doesn't put people at such a risk?

Did I say who should apply the common sense? Perhaps the government should apply it when they pass laws and think about what requirements they are placing and on whom...

Then a cashier could legally use common sense and discretion and everyone's a winner.

When was the last time you saw a 17 year old that could pass for 50 by the way? Because we are talking about pensioners sometimes being asked for ID, not just people who are 24...

Probably best to follow the buyer home to ensure its not drunk in the streets by someone under age.

It's easy to criticise, but why not try offering a solution, unless your 'Well in that case the government needs to make alcohol illegal' was your idea of a solution?

It's a fair point to make that the current situation is not a solution either.

It inconveniences people without actually achieving it's stated aim at all. So the government should find the solution and in the mean time repeal something that clearly can't ever work.

Archived