Asking for proof of age

I got asked for ID at woodhouse service station i was buying cigarettes,i said to the young lad serving are you being serious he said yes you don't look 25 so i have to ask i was chuffed to bits im 37 i didn't have ID and he refused to serve me lol

It's this kind of idiocy which serves to annoy people. Unless you're very lucky there's little chance that you appear to be under 25...

The language is that used by the fact sheet, not the legislation. It's aimed at reailers so the language may have been aimed at them. It puts confusion into the terms straight away when it says"... “Proxy Sales” which is basically when third parties adults attempt to purchase age ..." i.e. uses sale and purchase in the same breath.

(bonus point for the grammatical error)

I disgree. The joys of written English at play, but I don't see any link, obvious or implied, in the text on that page between the proxy purchase and an offence by the seller. I've gone back to the licensing act, and can't find anything explicit there either (I dithered about section 147, but I really think that's about selling (directly) to someone known to be under age).

There's also this http://www.northcotswoldsnw.co.uk/pdfs/HO-AlcoholLawExplained.pdf. If you look at the section on "by proxy" in the table, there is no fine for a seller associated with this, only (as in it's the singular item, not that it's a minor concern) loss of license. As all the sections in the 2003 act that deal with offences also give the fine level, I infer that there it's not an offence under the act. Also seems to contradict the statements made here that the retailer will get fined.

As we can probably dance around words,links and interpretations 'til the cows come home, the most powerful evidence would be that of a retailer actually getting a fine. I'm still open to persuasion though - as the internet has it IANAL.

Quite agree. I have a feeling that the 2003 act may have been the first place to actually stipulate an age. Wasn't old gripe water alcohol based?

Fair enough, I assumed that the FAQ sheets were being worded based on the legislation. Maybe they were, but by some woolly brained recent graduate.

Fair enough, I assumed that the FAQ sheets were being worded based on the legislation. Maybe they were, but by some woolly brained recent graduate.

No Prob. (Paranoid mode: All this information is deliberately confusing to ensure that people think it really is the law and comply quietly. Nor Paranoid: Never attribute to malice ...)

I think we're in agreement that refusing sales to people obviously well over the legal limit because they don't have ID is indefensible.

No Prob. (Paranoid mode: All this information is deliberately confusing to ensure that people think it really is the law and comply quietly. Nor Paranoid: Never attribute to malice ...)

I think we're in agreement that refusing sales to people obviously well over the legal limit because they don't have ID is indefensible.

are you one of those people that wear foil hats and think the government are after you?

Only adding to what many have sent before, but I have wrote to the co-op and my local MP about this issue because it annoys me that much.

I have a passport - I don't want to lose it, so I only take it out when it's likely I'll need it, and I have no problem with that.

Sometimes though, when walking back with my friend from work, they'll decide the want a few beers, or a bottle of wine. I'm 23 and so are they. The procedure is now that we have to either split up before going into the shop or I have to wait outside. We once timed it badly and arrived at an Asda checkout together and had to pursuade her we didn't know each other.

I've pointed out in my letters to the co op that the only thing this policy does, is result in irritating customers. My friend will still buy his alcohol, I just have to wait outside in the cold, or we have to split up to do shopping. I'd imagine most 'groups' do the same thing, regardless of if some are under age or not.

Those on this topic who've said the easy solution is to 'carry ID' - my friend always does, and they are the one who is getting penalised, not me. How is that fair in the slightest?

Kids will get hold of alcohol somehow, and whilst reasonable precautions are fair (asking for ID), we're now in a situation where the upsides to these policies are outweighed by the downsides.

I realize things are a bit different here but this is a written policy from my grocer's website. It is with specific regard to orders for groceries ordered online and then made ready for pick up at the store:

Alcohol and Tobacco- "Can I buy age restricted items on-line?"

Orders containing alcoholic beverages and/or tobacco items are available for pick-up. Prior to handing you the order, the Harris Teeter employee will check identification to validate age. If an adult over the age of 21 for alcohol or 18 for tobacco is not present at the time of pickup, the alcohol products and/or tobacco items will be removed from the order.

So it shouldn't matter who is with you when you purchase restricted items, the person paying for the item is the one that has to be legal and has to be able to prove it.

Archived