Asking for proof of age

You can write to the Co-op until you are blue in the face.. The law states that if u look under the age of 25 then u must provide ID

U have said that u r 23, and that u only carry yr passport if you need it.....

Well get it in yr handbag love

Because you will be ID'd all the time if you look under 25,

IT IS NOT JUST THE CO-OP, we are prominent, because we abide by the law

You can write to the Co-op until you are blue in the face.. The law states that if u look under the age of 25 then u must provide ID

What law says you must ask for ID?

Presumably that's aimed at me?

1. That's not the law. Unless you'd like to prove me wrong?

2. I'm not complaining about being ID'd when I'm buying alcohol, I'm complaining about being ID'd when I'm with someone who is buying alcohol. There is a distinct difference.

3. SF isn't too keen on text speak on the forum. Just something to bear in mind.

Ultimately, I accept the law, I also accept the shops interpretation of the law. That doesn't mean I can't try and alter it, and I'd never imagine being rude to the shop assistants following the law.

2. Ah you've had that as well. It is annoying. Last time Tesco tried that we left the shopping and then went for fuel and the devil made me ask the person running the station if they could prove they were over 16 in order to legally run the pumps.

It was quite amusing when they couldn't do that and they had to drag the manager over who had just finished putting all out shopping back.

My son (aged 35) tried to buy an aerosol can of windscreen de-Icer for his car in Homebase and was asked for proof that he was over 25.

I had just left the shop and he called me back 10 minutes later to verify his age - the assistant (or is it resistant?) still refused to serve him without ID but she graciously allowed me to buy it for him.

Surprised she didn't want to see my pensioners bus pass.

I made sure she heard me say I would take him in Toys-R-Us next.

What can they use De-Icer for anyway?

Odd thing is, the youngsters can go and die in Afghanistan whether they look 25 or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I have alot to say on this topic as I worked in a convenience shop and was not happy when it went to 25 it was supposed to make life easier for shop assistants said my manager who never had to ask anyone for ID ever what did he know. It made life harder for us I was sworn at threatened constantly and suffered so much abuse. I am sorry but for £5.84 an hour we do not get paid enough to put up with this crap needless to say I walked out and told them to stick their poxy job.

Customers did not understand that if you think that they do not look old enough you cannot serve them. You will get a serious fine and lose your job for being irresponsible and serving an underage person they don`t listen and just don`t care or understand grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am so glad I do not ID people anymore or work in retail fullstop working for yourslf is the way foward customers and jobs in retail are very bad for your health.

I have been asked for ID before I worked in convience retail and always get asked myself so I have been on both sides. I got asked to leave an amusement arcade in Blackpool because my boyfriend was on the bandits over 18 area. The people were rude and I saw the silly girl make a beeline for me as soon as she saw me what was that all about?? there was no one else in the arcade I couldn`t believe it but do understand why they have to do it. I have always been polite to customers when asking for ID but in the end I was as rude to the customers as they were to me as I got fed up of the aggro and it was TIME TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST RUDE CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Morrisons I think ask for ID no matter what now. My dad of 41 was buying booze for the weekend, when the complete spanner of a till fella said to him ''Are you 25?'' he didn't sound like he was joking either. My dad replied with ''Neow'' the till fella looked completely confused and proceeded to put through the beers. Felt like saying ''Im 19, and I'm his son, do the maths fella'' but if it's his job... must make you feel like a right tool though asking everyone.

Your lucky u didnt get id to. My sis went to Morrisons with her partner he was buying the ale and because she didnt have id there refused to serve them both she is 21 and he is 36.

it was supposed to make life easier for shop assistants

That's the problem with this lunacy. Something that started off with the intention of restricting access to underage people has now morphed into something to make life easier for shop assistants, at the cost of making life inconvenient and annoying for their customers.

Resist the policy, refuse to play along with silly games when they ask for "your papers please" so a 30 year-old can buy a box of matches, and they'll come to their senses.

Archived