Asking for proof of age

I get the point that she may be consuming the alcohol yes BUT as the older of the two was the one(been served) purchasing and paying for the alcohol from the shop assistant then the older shouldn't have been refused the right to buy it as she provided the necessary ID. The shop assistant serving her had done her job properly as she had check the ID of the person paying for the alcohol so would have followed the stores rules on age proof and if the older person then chooses to share her purchase with her friend at home thats her choice.

I get the point that she may be consuming the alcohol yes BUT as the older of the two was the one(been served) purchasing and paying for the alcohol from the shop assistant then the older shouldn't have been refused the right to buy it as she provided the necessary ID. The shop assistant serving her had done her job properly as she had check the ID of the person paying for the alcohol so would have followed the stores rules on age proof and if the older person then chooses to share her purchase with her friend at home thats her choice.

Not really, a good example is....

If a kid, who's obviously underage is stood outside some shops and asks you to go in and buy the alcohol for them, you wouldn't do it because it's wrong, and illegal. And technically it's the exact same situation.

Not really, a good example is....

If a kid, who's obviously underage is stood outside some shops and asks you to go in and buy the alcohol for them, you wouldn't do it because it's wrong, and illegal. And technically it's the exact same situation.

I don't agree. It's not the cashiers job to police your actions or intentions, it is their job to serve you whatever you wish to buy if you have the money and the ID.

I don't agree. It's not the cashiers job to police your actions or intentions, it is their job to serve you whatever you wish to buy if you have to money and the ID.

Actually, it is the cashiers job. It's exactly what the cashier has to do, and it's also illegal to buy alcohol for someone underage.

Actually, it is the cashiers job. It's exactly what the cashier has to do.

No it isn't. It is their job to make sure they don't serve someone who is underage.

If I wish to buy alcohol and then go home and give it to a 17 year old it has nothing whatsoever to do with the cashier.

That's my choice whether to break the law or not, as I said it's not up to the cashier to police my intentions.

But the cashier is breaking the law by selling alcohol to someone who they know is going to give it someone underage. So by having someone stood next to you who cannot provide evidence of their age, and is obviously going to be drinking the alcohol, cannot be served alcohol themselves.

Archived