Asking for proof of age

But the cashier is breaking the law by selling alcohol to someone who they know is going to give it someone underage. So by having someone stood next to you who cannot provide evidence of their age, and is obviously going to be drinking the alcohol, cannot be served alcohol themselves.

No. No-one can prove intentions. As long as they serve someone who has the appropriate ID they have done their job and covered their back. If I wish to break the law later on that has nothing to do with them.

But the cashier is breaking the law by selling alcohol to someone who they know is going to give it someone underage. So by having someone stood next to you who cannot provide evidence of their age, and is obviously going to be drinking the alcohol, cannot be served alcohol themselves.

How is it obvious? Are they a mind reader? Maybe the person standing with them doesn't even drink alcohol!

How is it obvious? Are they a mind reader? Maybe the person standing with them doesn't even drink alcohol!

Because SOMETIMES people discuss it at the till, when I worked in retail, on many occasions I had younger people discussing what they would be doing and drinking that night and only one could provide evidence of their age.

I do wish people would think before making comments like that.

Oh, and people CAN prove intentions when the intentions are stated.

I can see the dilemma the assistant is in, but actually neither of the people in question were actually underage to buy a drink, just not able to provide ID. It doesn't happen in bars, so why does it happen in a shop? You go to buy a round, the barkeep doesn't ask everyone in your party to produce ID?

Isn't this is a rule shops have brought in to cover their backs and not a legal requirement? tbh if that happened to me, I'd just leave all the shopping on the counter and go elsewhere. i wouldn't be paying for any of it if I couldn't have some of it.

Is it actually against the law to sell alcohol to under 25's or is it just supermarket policies??

They don't say it's illegal to sell alcohol to people under 25... They will not sell alcohol to people unless they can provide evidence, if they LOOK under 25.

They don't say it's illegal to sell alcohol to people under 25... They will not sell alcohol to people unless they can provide evidence, if they LOOK under 25.
But she did have evidence ... it was the older sister that didn't. Overkill on the shop's part really. Not blaming the assistant for it, they have to do what they're told.

How many 25 yr olds do you see that only look 18, tell the truth ... :P

But she did have evidence ... it was the older sister that didn't. Overkill on the shop's part really. Not blaming the assistant for it, they have to do what they're told.

How many 25 yr olds do you see that only look 18, tell the truth ... :P

There are some though, that's the point. It's unfair how mardy some people get when they're ID'd when the assistant is only doing as they're told, and it's their job, future job prospects and money on the line.

I can see the dilemma the assistant is in, but actually neither of the people in question were actually underage to buy a drink, just not able to provide ID. It doesn't happen in bars, so why does it happen in a shop? You go to buy a round, the barkeep doesn't ask everyone in your party to produce ID?

Isn't this is a rule shops have brought in to cover their backs and not a legal requirement? tbh if that happened to me, I'd just leave all the shopping on the counter and go elsewhere. i wouldn't be paying for any of it if I couldn't have some of it.

& how is the shop keeper supposed to know that?

Archived