Asking for proof of age

There are some though, that's the point. It's unfair how mardy some people get when they're ID'd when the assistant is only doing as they're told, and it's their job, future job prospects and money on the line.

I can't remember the last time I got ID'd, & i'm only 20!

Darn it, I must look ooooold :confused:

I, along with most people my age, was buying booze from about 14 or 15 (and this was 3 litre bottles of 7.5% white cider which tastes foul, so its not alcopops that are to blame for youth drinking. Its boredom and the fact that being drunk is often fun, especially if you're not allowed to be).

Nowadays with these rules in place, I actually got ID'd at a local nightclub, despite being in the band that was playing, wearing a wedding ring, being quite heavily tattooed and being 32 (the first couple don't require me to be 18 but often suggest it...I'd never expect such an analysis of my appearance before requesting ID tho). I carry ID so I think its fair enough, just pretty funny really.

Two of my friends are both over 25 but look young and don't have ID (driving licence, passports, etc) so when we're buying alcohol I buy it for us whille they wait elsewhere. I have no idea what would happen if a security guard from the shop saw fit to challenge me, but I'm happy in the knowledge that whatever comedy did ensue, I wouldn't get charged with anything and I'd either get my booze or my money back because ultimately I'd be in the right. It's pretty frustrating for them though.

I can totally see why shops/pubs are as strict as they are on it, and have to apply general rules which may seem a bit stupid - its not really their fault. But I think many customers take it too seriously. If somewhere turns you down because of ID, go somewhere that's less concerned...there are plenty of places that seem more "liberal" with the rules!

Because SOMETIMES people discuss it at the till, when I worked in retail, on many occasions I had younger people discussing what they would be doing and drinking that night and only one could provide evidence of their age.

I do wish people would think before making comments like that.

Oh, and people CAN prove intentions when the intentions are stated.

So you're saying you could lose your job for legally selling alcohol to a 25 year old who has provided ID, simply because of a hypothetical conversation that has taken place in the proximity?

So you're saying you could lose your job for legally selling alcohol to a 25 year old who has provided ID, simply because of a hypothetical conversation that has taken place in the proximity?

Yes, if the other person is consuming the alcohol and cannot provide ID.

No. No-one can prove intentions. As long as they serve someone who has the appropriate ID they have done their job and covered their back. If I wish to break the law later on that has nothing to do with them.

the cashier has to work to due diligence.

its no different to a person and their friend going into a pub and asking for a pint of lager and a pint of cola. they will both still get asked for id cos the bar person doesnt know who will be drinking what. if the person buying the alcohol has id and pays it doesnt mean that they are the ones who are going to drink it, and the bar person will still have served someone whos age hasnt been verified. they will have failed to excercise due diligence, which is their only defence if this were to happen and the 'friend' was underage.

buying in a shop is different to buying in a pub, but the same rules of due diligence applies, if two people who look young are together buying alcohol then the cashier is obliged to ask both for id as the possibility of them sharing it is apparent at the point of sale. if the friend is outside and the cashier doesnt know they exist then the cashier doesnt need to worry about it.

the gov have pulled a fast one on this and left it completely upto the businesses to police by themselves, with heavy penalties for failing. so most will err on the side of caution, as a prosecution just isnt worth it.

as a license holder i will ask for id all the time because i dont want to go to prison. i dont really give one heck of a care whether or not someone wants to buy alcohol - if they decide they want to buy it then its up to me to decide if i want to sell it to them. if they cant give me any id when/if i ask then they'll just have to buy it somewhere else, and i wont have run the risk of a £20,000 fine, losing my job and going to prison.

be much easier if the gov just introduced a law that stated that if you are buying alcohol then you have to produce id no matter how old you are (the licensing people can actually make this a condition of you holding a license, but it usually means that you have broken the law a few times and this is your last chance saloon before you get prosecuted and get your license taken off you).

completley wrong.

Indeedy; the only common theme in the USA is that you have to be 21 to buy it. They won't ask you for ID if you obviously look older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

I've been served in bars, restaurants and supermarkets in the US and never been asked; the joy of a bit of grey at 34.

From previously working in Oddbins the wine merchant I've found ID'ing people can be equally embarrassing for the Cashier. Its frustrating if you just don't carry and ID but its an important measure to prevent dem kids from gettin' dat booze

Yes, if the other person is consuming the alcohol and cannot provide ID.

I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculous. Is someone going to follow them home and spy through the window and call the police, then report you for being the one who served them? All seems a bit far fetched.

I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculous. Is someone going to follow them home and spy through the window and call the police, then report you for being the one who served them? All seems a bit far fetched.

No, but what with how everyone is these days it'd go more like....

Drinks booze, collapses, hits head on table, knocked out, goes to hospital, sues shop for selling alcohol.

Archived