Asking for proof of age

i read of someone who got prosecuted the day after they sold alcohol to a group of youths. turns out that the cashier only asked the person who was paying for the booze rather than all of them. they got arrested when one of the kids ended up in hospital having to have their stomach pumped.

the police had to investigate where they got the booze from, cashier got in trouble.

was in the papers ages ago, though cant remember when....

I find that hard to believe. You do not 'sell to a group' you sell to ONE person, and if that person has ID you have not broken the law.

I get the point that she may be consuming the alcohol yes BUT as the older of the two was the one(been served) purchasing and paying for the alcohol from the shop assistant then the older shouldn't have been refused the right to buy it as she provided the necessary ID. The shop assistant serving her had done her job properly as she had check the ID of the person paying for the alcohol so would have followed the stores rules on age proof and if the older person then chooses to share her purchase with her friend at home thats her choice.

Then you are not aware of shop proceedure

I find that hard to believe. You do not 'sell to a group' you sell to ONE person, and if that person has ID you have not broken the law.

But going by the policies, you DO sell to the group.

What with how everyone is sueing everyone and stuff, people can't take risks, because the cashier is held responsible.

But going by the policies, you DO sell to the group.

What with how everyone is sueing everyone and stuff, people can't take risks, because the cashier is held responsible.

So it is not anything to do with the law then, what you are saying is that some shops have a ridiculous POLICY where people with ID cannot be served if they happen to be in the company of someone younger.

Archived