Asking for proof of age

So it is not anything to do with the law then, what you are saying is that some shops have a ridiculous POLICY where people with ID cannot be served if they happen to be in the company of someone younger.

Well technically it is the law, the law is that you cannot sell alcohol to someone under 18, but sometimes 18 year olds look a lot older (like I did) so to cover this, you have to LOOK over 25, or you get ID'd. Whether it's policy or law (I refuse to say either because people will argue whether they actually know or not) it's the only way it can be done.

My mate's just told me, don't take your kids shopping either, if you're buying drinks.

You might have ID but they won't sell it to you fi you have your kids with you. He swears that happened to him and his missis in <removed>, some supermarket or other.

NO YOU ARE NOT. You are selling to the person you are serving. You are exchanging YOUR goods for THEIR cash. ONE person.

Yes you are :hihi: If there are two people stood at a till, and they both discuss drinking the alcohol that is being put through, you have to ID them both!

My mate's just told me, don't take your kids shopping either, if you're buying drinks.

You might have ID but they won't sell it to you fi you have your kids with you. He swears that happened to him and his missis in <removed>, some supermarket or other.

only a fraction of jobsworths will actually stop you buying alcohol, and it'll no doubt get reported in the daily mail.

What law is that? They did not sell the alcohol to the person standing around next to the person purchasing alcohol.

If they did that for every 18 year old that came in with a 16 year old by their side and they went outside and dealed it out to their friend the cashier is responsible for not having I.D'd both and is looking for a disciplinary if the manager sees it and thinks he/she isn't doing the job right.They are just trying to do their job how do you not get this?:huh:

people here are getting the law mixed up with store policies and the think 25 scheme.

But, it doesn't change the fact that it's not hard to carry ID around. And that if you look under 25 you will be ID'd. I can't see the problem with it. I also don't know why people complain about things that can't and shouldn't be changed.

They'd complain more if stores kept selling to underage kids.

Yeah because you don't have proof that the 25 year old is actually old enough to drink, they could be a 17 year old that looks 40!

It's horrible ID'ing people too, especially when some will go on and on and on and on. And they're usually the ones that complain about the drunken youths causing chaos.

its a pretty rubbish situation for the cashiers/businesses as well. they would like to sell as much as they can to anyone who will buy it. but the penalties are so high if they make just one mistake that they have to take a blanket approach - they have their arms twisted.

and it doesnt help that young people try to dress and act as if they are older, and older people dress and act as if they are younger. unless people have their dates of birth tattooed on their foreheads you cant accurately guess anyones age. i have asked for id cos someone looks under 25 and been surprised that they have been only just 18, and same when i thought someone looked younger and turned out to be about 28. i fit into that category, im 29 but look like im still in high school.

also a cashier can get fired if they havent followed their training. it would be classed a gross misconduct if there is enough evidence to prove that they have been ignoring what they have been instructed and trained to do. even if they havent (yet) served someone who is underage.

Archived