Ex wife holding passport

hardly on talking terms, apart from when SHE wants something. she makes our life VERY difficult on a regular basis. She's the mardiest person I've ever had the mis-fortune to know.

However the kids are brilliant, it would be such a shame for them to miss this holiday, they'be been looking forward to it for months.

We are going to ask again tonight after work and if we don't get them tonight, I think we'll have to call the police for a bit of friendly advice.

Thanks for your help so far......

You cannot hold a persons passport as that is not permitted under law. However in this case, I'm sure she would be able to claim loco parentis and nothing would be done.

Your best bet will be to call the passport agency and ask them for advice - I'm certain that they will have had to deal with this before - if there is time then you can jsut declare the passport lost and apply for new ones.

Why not tell the kids what's going on and that if they don't get their mum to hand over their passports, they're going to miss their holiday?

I reckon they'll soon get her to give in. She won't want them mardying around the house for the rest of their lives and telling her they hate her every time they think about what they're missing.

Hope this helps :D

Its all down to custody rights i believe. True the passport belongs to the state, but if she is the next of kin and she does not wish for the kids to go out of the country she does not have to hand them over. Police will see it as a civil matter and wont get involved. I would go with the advice of having the kids Moan / pursuade the mother to hand them over and get written consent from her too. good luck

I'm after a bit of advice.

My partner's ex-wife is witholding their 2 sons passports and we're due to go away this weekend.

We need the passports. She was fine with this at the time we booked the holiday, grandparents are also going, and now she's being very childish saying she doesn't want them to go.

We've filled forms in allowing them to take the time out of school, they've had the injections. (she took them for these)it's just a case of her being silly to ruin my partners 40th birthday celebrations.

the children spend between 1 and 3 nights with us every week normally.

Does my partner's ex wife have a right to withold the passports? can we do anything to make her hand them over legally, or is she quite within her rights. the children are 13 and 16 years old.

Normally it is best that these things are sorted out between parents without the messy procedures of a court. If a court has been involved then a minors passport would logically be held by the parent who has custody of the minor. However as both parents consent is required before a child can be taken abroad this is pretty much irrelevant.

I aint 100% sure it will work with air travel, you may not need passports for the kids.

At border control claim the children are "Freeman On The Land and they are claiming their right to travel unhindered".

Might work, not sure, I know it worked for a lady using the ferry back from france after losing her passport.

Normally it is best that these things are sorted out between parents without the messy procedures of a court. If a court has been involved then a minors passport would logically be held by the parent who has custody of the minor. However as both parents consent is required before a child can be taken abroad this is pretty much irrelevant.

And if a court was involved and the Mother didnt want the children to go then they would probably be on the side of the Mother as both need to agree to allow them to go.

And if a court was involved and the Mother didnt want the children to go then they would probably be on the side of the Mother as both need to agree to allow them to go.

That's about it, and the father can object just as easily should his ex wife want to take the children abroad.

Archived