Two identical Libraries - How many more of these buildings are in Sheffield

Lady Star

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=upperthorpe&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Upperthorpe,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.389898,-1.486029&spn=0.002284,0.006539&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.389898,-1.486029&panoid=kOhfy2h-vR9HWo-Buism7w&cbp=12,196.37,,0,11.79

and Highfield Library (can't get a link on google maps for this, but it is on there) are twins - If there are two of them, there must be more...

Does anyone know of where any others are? Or why they built the same building more than once?

Just found it odd, as I have never noticed this until today, and I have never seen it anywhere else other than in the Worksop Priory and Durham Cathedral (but even those two had a couple of differences, and these two seem to be identical)

Thanks!

I believe Upperthorpe, Burngreave and Highfield were the first 'suburban' libraries in Sheffield. Upperthorpe was built around 1869 but Highfield not until perhaps ten years later as the Corporation didn't purchase the land from the Alderson estate until 1876.

Burngreave library is architecturally quite different from the other two and looks more like a chapel than a library so perhaps it was an adaptation of an existing building.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u03147

the library section of Upperthorpe is, indeed, almost identical to Highfield library.

There are two slight differences.

Upperthorpe has a pretty carving over the door. Highfield library has a beautiful and inspiring quote over the door, Which reads

"THAT THERE SHOULD ONE MAN DIE

IGNORANT WHO HAD CAPACITY

FOR KNOWLEDGE, THIS I CALL A

TRAGEDY, WHERE IT TO HAPPEN MORE

THAN TWENTY TIMES IN THE MINUTE,

AS BY SOME COMPUTATIONS IT DOES"

Upperthorpe has a laundry and a swimming baths attached to the building. Highfield doesn't.

the library section of Upperthorpe is, indeed, almost identical to Highfield library.

There are two slight differences.

Upperthorpe has a pretty carving over the door. Highfield library has a beautiful and inspiring quote over the door, Which reads

"THAT THERE SHOULD ONE MAN DIE

IGNORANT WHO HAD CAPACITY

FOR KNOWLEDGE, THIS I CALL A

TRAGEDY, WHERE IT TO HAPPEN MORE

THAN TWENTY TIMES IN THE MINUTE,

AS BY SOME COMPUTATIONS IT DOES"

Upperthorpe has a laundry and a swimming baths attached to the building. Highfield doesn't.

Yes I noticed those words over the door of the 'FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY', by Thomas Carlyle

photobucket

m&p

I believe Upperthorpe, Burngreave and Highfield were the first 'suburban' libraries in Sheffield. Upperthorpe was built around 1869 but Highfield not until perhaps ten years later as the Corporation didn't purchase the land from the Alderson estate until 1876.

Burngreave library is architecturally quite different from the other two and looks more like a chapel than a library so perhaps it was an adaptation of an existing building.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u03147

According to this both libraries were opened in 1876, Upperthorpe on 8th May and Highfield on 1st August.

m&p

That's fascinating M & P, thank you for finding that information out.

I love the inscription over the doorway of Highfield branch library. I find it touching and inspiring. I spent many happy hours in Highfield library as a child/ young woman. I love books and love reading.

Archived